Revisiting the ENTS Grove.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

dbhguru

Revisiting the ENTS Grove.

Post by dbhguru » Wed Nov 11, 2020 11:30 am

Ents,

Yesterday, Monica and I visited the ENTS Grove in MTSF.In the late 1990s, I named this swath of tall white pines in MTSF to honor Ents who were out measuring trees and compiling many of the individual tree and outstanding site records that we now enjoy. Two of the first Ents to be so honored were Will Blozan and Colby Rucker. Yesterday, I re-measured each tree. The last time I measured Will's tree, kit was 155.5 feet tall and 10.15 feet in girth. I've lost the date of those measurements. Yesterday, Will's tree had grown to 156.5 feet in hgt and 10.5 ft in girth. This wasn't too much of a surprise. The real eye-opener came when I re-measured Colby's tree. It is now 166.2 feet tall. Its girth has increased from 9.7 to 10.1 feet. This has taken place in 10 years. However, I can virtually guarantee everyone that Colby's tree did not grow 10 feet in hgt in 10 years. I found a new vantage point higher on the ridge. So, I had not been seeing the true top for several the earlier measurement. Colby's tree becomes the 6th tallest in Massachusetts and the 9th or 10th tallest in New England. I think my dear departed friend would be pleased.

MTSF now has 25 white pines exceeding 160 feet in hgt. The current state-wide count is 28. Could there be more? A tree in Kenneth M. Dubuque measured 158.6 feet on 11/21./2019. It is probably now slightly over 159. There is a WP in the Trees of Peace that may be close to 159. Barring crown damage, both trees could make 160 in 2022.

I plan to continue nipping away at the re-measurement of trees across Massachusetts. Fortunately, now Jared Lockwood is part of the update. The challenge of bringing our database up to date is nothing compared to convincing the state's Department of Conservation and Recreation (DCR) that keeping these records has value. So far, I'm just keeping my head above water on this objective. Alas, it is how things are. It isn't that we don't have plenty of supporters in DCR at the lower levels. It's that the higher you go in the hierarchy, the more political things become. Need I say more?

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

Return to “MA - Mohawk Trail State Forest”