Far Mill River, Stratford, CT

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

ryandallas

Far Mill River, Stratford, CT

Post by ryandallas » Sun Feb 02, 2020 7:33 pm

This place is a real gem. It's a Pequonnock-esque river that weaves its way through Shelton and Stratford, and then empties into the Housatonic.

The river's form is anomalous, at least for Fairfield County. Most rivers in Fairfield County follow a fairly straight, north-south path. This river is more snake-like, and it flows obliquely to the SE. It resembles rivers you'd see in upstate NY.

The southern part of the river, which can be accessed from Route 110, is very photogenic. It features a bonafide cascade waterfall, a swimming hole and some ruins from an ancient mill.

The slopes above the river are clothed with oak, birches, hemlock and tulip trees. This is one of the premier hemlock sites in the area. It a is a dominant species here.

After walking along the river for about half a mile, I came to a small clump of tall tulip trees. Of these five or so trees, one was clearly the tallest. I was able to get a 150+ straight-up reading on this tree. So we can say, tentatively, that Stratford joins Trumbull, Fairfield, Wilton, and Shelton in the 150+ list.

This is definitely a place that warrants further exploration. I'll have to get back here sometime so I can measure the tall tree properly. The northern portions of the valley also look impressive, but they might be hard to reach. The trails there are not great.

dbhguru

Re: Far Mill River, Stratford, CT

Post by dbhguru » Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:17 am

Ryan,

Again, congratulations! CT's tulips are recapturing some of the state's lost glory when the Cathedral Pines blew down.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

ryandallas

Re: Far Mill River, Stratford, CT

Post by ryandallas » Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:58 pm

I wish I could have seen the Cathedral Pines but it sounds like they fell long before I was interested in forestry. Gold's Pines in Cornwall is nice little hike though.

Return to “Connecticut”