Spur Lake State Natural Area, Oneida County

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

DonCBragg

Spur Lake State Natural Area, Oneida County

Post by DonCBragg » Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:35 pm

Spur Lake State Natural Area (SNA; https://dnr.wi.gov/topic/Lands/naturala ... sp?SNA=537) is located in eastern Oneida County about 6 miles south of Three Lakes, Wisconsin. This SNA was largely established to protect a shallow lake and its unique plant communities, which include extensive wild rice beds, open bogs (including a “floating” bog), alder thickets, black spruce-tamarack-northern whitecedar swamps, and a small stand of old-growth eastern hemlock-hardwoods. While the whole complex is fascinating, I focused my efforts on the hemlock-hardwood stand.
SpurLake01.JPG
SpurLake02.jpg
This hemlock-dominated remnant stand of old-growth occupies the steep morainal hills on the northern edge of Spur Lake (easily accessed by a paved public road into the SNA; parking is on the wide shoulders available in a few places, and one designated parking area along the eastern lake shore). These dense hemlock stands also include scattered balsam fir, northern whitecedar, yellow birch, and a few widely scattered emergent eastern white pine. Between the hills are wetter swales dominated by northern whitecedar, black ash, tamarack, black spruce, sphagnum moss, tag alder, and other associated wetland plants. The understory of the upland hemlock stands are open, with few plants of any times surviving in the deep shade and thick needle mat that has formed over the centuries. A number of eastern hemlock and northern whitecedar seedlings and saplings can be found, suggesting limited white-tailed deer browsing during the winter.
SpurLake03.jpg
SpurLake04.JPG
SpurLake05.JPG
The overstory dominants of this hemlock stand are probably 150-200 years old; I did not have any opportunities to age the stand, but it seems very likely that most of them were smallish trees when the “big cut” occurred in the late 1800s, and hence why they were spared (this area had plenty of opportunities for lumberjacks to clear the stand). It is possible that a few mature pine and hemlock were cut from this stand in previous decades, but no evidence remains of any systematic timber harvesting. In recent years, this land was protected by the State of Wisconsin with Knowles-Nelson Stewardship Program funds (designated a SNA in 2007), and is now owned by the Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources. In recent years, the State of Wisconsin and other conservation partners have made an effort to protect a number of these scattered old hemlock-pine-hardwood remnants in the Wisconsin Northwoods.

The dense hemlock canopy made measuring tree heights difficult. As you can see from the table below, nothing was particularly spectacular, although this is a very nice stand of timber and well worth preserving for study and various forms of recreation.

Common name Scientific name DBH (inches) Height (feet) Comments
Balsam fir Abies balsamea 11.9 71.5
Eastern hemlock Tsuga canadensis 35.7 67.0 dead top
Eastern hemlock Tsuga canadensis 24.3 80.0 at least this tall
Northern whitecedar Thuja occidentalis 14.4 58.5 “ “
Eastern hemlock Tsuga canadensis 24.4 90.0 “ “
Eastern hemlock Tsuga canadensis 22.7 73.5 “ “
Eastern white pine Pinus strobus 30.6 99.0 “ “
Eastern hemlock Tsuga canadensis 23.5 no height taken
Eastern hemlock Tsuga canadensis 23.7 91.0
Eastern white pine Pinus strobus 32.2 100.0 at least this tall; top obscured

All heights were taken with my TruPulse 200L using the sine method, and almost certainly represent conservative estimates of height…the thick hemlock canopy really made more exacting measurements virtually impossible. The eastern white pine emerged well above the fairly continuous hemlock canopy, which varied from about 70 to 90 feet in their top heights.
SpurLake06.JPG
SpurLake07.JPG
SpurLake08.jpg
Large white pine emerging above hemlock canopy.
SpurLake09.jpg
Supercanopy white pine along paved road.

ElijahW

Re: Spur Lake State Natural Area, Oneida County

Post by ElijahW » Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:08 am

Don,

Those are some beautiful photos. I especially like the old pines. This area is very similar to the Adirondacks. Thanks for posting,

Elijah
"There is nothing in the world to equal the forest as nature made it. The finest formal forest, the most magnificent artificially grown woods, cannot compare with the grandeur of primeval woodland." Bob Marshall, Recreational Limitations to Silviculture in the Adirondacks

Larry Tucei

Post by Larry Tucei » Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:59 pm

Don-

Nice post! Love the images. I hope to get up that way this Fall, Winter or perhaps next.
I really enjoy northern Wisconsin and Minnesota it's such a beautiful area.

Larry

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:17 pm

Don,

Ditto to Elijah and Larry. My travels in Wisconsin have been limited. So, your and Larry’s posts are especially valuable.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

Return to “Wisconsin”