An excel formula for the SOLO R/T?

General discussions of measurement techniques and the results of testing of techniques and equipment.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

John Harvey

An excel formula for the SOLO R/T?

Post by John Harvey » Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:40 am

So I've been using the SOLO R/T monocular for a while now and I was wondering if anyone had a formula worked up on Excel for it. For instance at a distance of 13.5 yards, 50 reticle or hash marks comes out to 2 feet. Using basic math you can come up with any estimate just based on that. At 27 yards away, 50 would be 4 feet across for instance...and on and on. I just think it would be much easier to have it worked into a formula on Excel where you could punch in the distance in yards, the amount of reticles, and have an instant width pop up. I've been doing a math problem every time I take a measurement which is fine but I wouldn't know the first thing about making something possible on Excel.

Thanks!
John D Harvey (JohnnyDJersey)

East Coast and West Coast Big Tree Hunter

"If you look closely at a tree you'll notice it's knots and dead branches, just like our bodies. What we learn is that beauty and imperfection go together wonderfully." - Matt Fox

Erik Danielsen

Re: An excel formula for the SOLO R/T?

Post by Erik Danielsen » Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:15 am

You would just need two input columns, and then a third column with a simple formula that incorporates the reticle factor and the inputs from the first two columns (just the same math problem you do on paper now). Then a fourth column dividing the results from the third column by three, if you're inputting yards and want to end up with feet. Should be a pretty simple one to set up, as far as spreadsheet math goes.

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:14 am

John,

Alas, Excel formulas abound. I guess that we have so much material on the BBS that searching for an answer to a specific question can be daunting.

Here are some relevant BBS posts on the reticle:

Measurement & Dendromorphometry: Reticle Testing – Mon Oct 23, 2017, latest post Feb 18, 2018.

Measurement & Dendromorphometry: Use of reticle for measuring limb length – Feb 6, 2018, latest post Feb 7, 2018

On the www.championtreescertificationcadre.org forum there are the following reticle posts under Measuring methods development:

1. Reticle and Bosch GLR825
2. Reticle Methods Test
3. Comparison of Reticle Formulas
4. Simple and Advanced Reticle Methods
5. A Final Reticle Measurement Method
6. More Reticle Methods
7. Meet Gizmo

You are still listed as a member in the Forum. So, the above materials should be available if you sign in. Admittedly, there's a lot of repetition in this material, but its coverage is soup to nuts.

Let me know if you don’t find what you need in the above posts.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

John Harvey

Post by John Harvey » Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:35 am

Bob, Eric,

Thank you for the replies. Bob, I will look through the posts. I was thinking to myself that there must be a ton of data on my very question. I will log in to the cadre site as well. I've since changed emails and need to update that in the system,

Thanks!
John D Harvey (JohnnyDJersey)

East Coast and West Coast Big Tree Hunter

"If you look closely at a tree you'll notice it's knots and dead branches, just like our bodies. What we learn is that beauty and imperfection go together wonderfully." - Matt Fox

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:49 am

John,

If you are measuring tree trunk diameters that are reasonably circular, you can get by with a single formula.

W = MD/(F-0.5M)

where M = reticle reading, D = distance to middle of trunk, and F = reticle factor, which should be 1000 for the Solo RT 8x36. The bigger the tree, the more important the 0.5M factor is.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

Return to “Measurement and Dendromorphometry”