New member from Florida

A forum for new members to introduce themselves to the other members of ENTS. New users and guests can ask questions about ENTS and the ENTS BBS here.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

dougeng

New member from Florida

Post by dougeng » Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:09 pm

Hello all, happy to have found such a valuable resource and dedicated people in love with forests. I am a fine art photographer specializing in trees and forests and have been working on this for about 10 years after a corporate life. My latest project started as a curiosity about the damaged forests after Hurricane Michael ravaged the Florida Panhandle last October. I became interested in natural destruction (as opposed to clear-cutting) due to weather, salt water intrusion, fire, and disease (such as HWA infestation). My goal is to bring awareness to the catastrophic impact of these events through visual expression so that we can more effectively make decisions both public and personal. Next month I will be travelling to Asheville and the surrounding areas and wanted to photograph areas that still show visible HWA damage to the Hemlock forests in the Appalachians. I may be late to this particular event as I realize that much of the massive die-offs happened in 2007-2012 or earlier. If anyone knows of areas in the GSMNP, Pisgah, Shenandoah, Blue Ridge Parkway that are particularly impactful (i.e., lots of dead trees!) I would appreciate your input. Much of what the park service does is hide the presence of these areas as most people are not interested in dead trees, so specific information on these locations does not seem readily available. Thank you for your assistance and I hope to share my findings with the group.

Doug.

dbhguru

Re: New member from Florida

Post by dbhguru » Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:28 pm

Doug,

Welcome aboard. The person to contact is Will Blozan. He lives in Black Mountain, NC. Contact me directly at dbhguru@comcast.net and I'll try to put you in contact with Will.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

bbeduhn

Post by bbeduhn » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:47 am

Doug,
I live in Asheville and can help you out. I know of a number of places that still have plenty of live hemlocks as well, but these trees are still slowly succumbing to the adelgids. Kitsuma, just east of Asheville is a good example of hemlock destruction and also hemlock preservation. Joyce Kilmer shows one way of dealing with hemlock death. The Forest Service dynamited the standing dead hemlocks to make it look more "natural", and to eliminate falling trees along a popular trail. The Smokies have the greatest extent. Cataloochee had some of the largest hemlocks on record. I haven't been there in several years so I don't know if they are still standing.
Brian

dougeng

Post by dougeng » Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:54 am

Thank you Bob and Brian, i'll be contacting you via email for more details. I haven't been back to the area in several years, also I was clueless at the time as to what was going on. Just to show that many of us need reminders of the ongoing problems and attention required.
Doug.

Return to “Post Here First - Introduce Yourself”