One big tree versus a cluster of small ones

General discussions of measurement techniques and the results of testing of techniques and equipment.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

dbhguru

One big tree versus a cluster of small ones

Post by dbhguru » Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:57 pm

Ents,

I attended a gathering this past Tuesday on climate change activists who are trying to educate themselves on the role of trees versus solar panels and windmills. There were 4 panelists, of which I was one. Another was an academic from UMASS who stated right off that the greatest period of sequestration for forest is between 20 and 40 years. He made the typical case for early successional habitat. When my turn came, I laid out the numbers for carbon sequestered in white pines over a 200 year period. There was no pushback from the UMASS fellow. But, I'm starting to spend time trying to analyze the tradeoffs between individually large trees and clusters of small trees in terms of the carbon stored. The attachment includes two scenarios. The second sheet is probably the more revealing. It is set up to allow what-if games.

Bob
Attachments
SahedasControlArea-3-2-2019.xlsx
(17.12 KiB) Downloaded 68 times
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

Don

Re: One big tree versus a cluster of small ones

Post by Don » Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:35 pm

Bob-
Another scenario, certainly an extreme one, comes to mind. I've walked through stands of old-growth redwoods so thick and large that you felt surrounded by a 'wall of wood'...unable to see beyond say, 100'. Serious carbon there!
-Don
Don Bertolette - President/Moderator, WNTS BBS
Restoration Forester (Retired)
Science Center
Grand Canyon National Park

BJCP Apprentice Beer Judge

View my Alaska Big Tree List Webpage at:
http://www.akbigtreelist.org

Return to “Measurement and Dendromorphometry”