Allegany State Park's Trackless West

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

Erik Danielsen

Re: Allegany State Park's Trackless West

Post by Erik Danielsen » Sat Mar 30, 2019 2:57 pm

On wednesday 3/27 I returned to this section of the park to continue exploring this area- specifically the two coves marked with “?” marks just south of point B on the topo map displayed in the original post. It was a nice crisp morning and the road going south wasn’t open yet (it closes for use as a snowmobile trail in the winter), but fortunately my target area was close enough that it didn’t add too much of a hike in. The goal was to cover some ground and identify any stands or trees that would be worth making more intensive measurements.

In covering these two coves I observed that the distribution of stands of old trees was patchy and that large portions seemed instead to be mature second growth. Confusingly, typical signs of logging like old stumps and multitrunk red oaks were pretty much nonexistent. I am going to have to look further into the history of some of the large wildfires that occurred in the park in the late 19th century or so to see if that offers any better clues to the distribution patterns. I did observe that mature hemlock and to an even greater degree sugar maple were very much restricted to the smaller patches of old trees.

One patch of old trees, about midway up the ridge between stand B and the next cove south, had a large concentration of gnarly white oak along with a lonely old hemlock and lots of red oak, some cucumber, and the day’s first exciting surprise- a Black Tupelo with seriously old bark that rose like a column to a broken and coppiced crown. Based on the height and form of its trunk below the break I suspect it originally may have been taller than our current NY height maximum for the species. (A)
Old tupelo bark.
Old tupelo bark.
The gnarly old black tupelo in full.
The gnarly old black tupelo in full.
Up at the head of the cove, above the 2000’ isoline transition to oak-tulip forest, was another stand of old trees starting with a magnificent tulip right at a spring, flanked by a few old sugar maples, and extending almost in a line up the slop to the ridge with multiple large red oak, tuliptree, red maples, and some spectacular white ash. (B)
Tall tulip at the head of the cove.
Tall tulip at the head of the cove.
One of the few old sugar maples, growing just below the tall tulip.
One of the few old sugar maples, growing just below the tall tulip.
Ascending the ridge that delineates the next cove south of this I entered a stand that doesn’t seem as old but yielded new rucker trees for Cucumber and Red Oak. This stand was very diverse, with a dominant tulip component but nearly every one of the area’s species in the canopy, and at its edge was yet another very old Black Tupelo, remarkably similar to the first one. (C)
123.5' tall Cucumber Magnolia
123.5' tall Cucumber Magnolia
The southernmost cove has the shallowest slopes and also had no patches of trees I would identify as old-growth. A couple patches had more open canopies over dense beech sprout thickets- perhaps these were groves of magnificent beech just a few decades ago. It’s not for me to know, I suppose. The several streams that weave into each other running down the slope did yield some tall specimens in their narrow ravines, including a new state height record for Bigtooth Aspen. Mature red maple, cucumber, red oak, white ash, black cherry and hemlock all scanned to around 120’ with some regularity, though I only made a few thorough measurements here. (D)
New state height record for Bigtooth Aspen at 122.9'
New state height record for Bigtooth Aspen at 122.9'
All heights with Trupulse 200B handheld, so +-1.5’. Letters key to narrative paragraphs.

Tuliptree
137.5’ / 9’cbh (B)
135.5’ / 8.7’cbh (D)
White Ash
129’ / 5.9’cbh (B)
125’ / 9.3’cbh (B)
121’ / 9.2’cbh (A)
Northern Red Oak
124’ / 7.1’cbh (C)
117’ / 10.5’cbh (B)
115’ / 8.1’cbh (A)
Cucumber Magnolia
123.5’ / 6’cbh (C)
121’ / 7’cbh (D)
114.5’ / 5.5’cbh (A)
Bigtooth Aspen
122.9’ / 6.4’cbh (D) steadied unit for greater accuracy
107.5’ (A)
Eastern Hemlock
121.5’ / 6.9’cbh (D)
112' / 9.3’cbh (A)
108.5’ / 9.4’cbh (A)
Black Cherry
118’ / (~2.5’dbh) (B)
Red Maple
116.5’ / 6.4’cbh (B)
112.5’ / 6.2’cbh (B)
Sugar Maple
113’ / girth measured but forgot to write down ~2.5’dbh (B)
White Oak
98.5’ / 9.4’cbh (A)
Black Tupelo
93.5’ / 6.8’cbh

This survey appreciably raised the RHI10 for ASP, but the day wasn't done- after I finished here I made a quick scouting run to the reputed “Camp 10” old-growth site which is buffered at the bottom of the slope by a vigorous mixed conifer plantation- this location will get its own report soon, especially after I get the 200LR trained on the two trees it yielded that now top the rucker (hopefully monday!). ASP has now graduated from “sure to be in the 120s” to “sure to be in the 130s.”

Norway Spruce: 143’ (new state height record, conservative number)
White Pine: 141.5’
Tuliptree: 137.5’
White Ash: 134’
Red Oak: 124’
Hemlock: 124’
Black Cherry: 123.5’
Cucumbertree: 123.5’
Bigtooth Aspen: 122.9’
Red Maple: 116.5’

RHI10: 128.99

A couple notes following up on the original post- reexamining the fruits and foliage of the mystery hickory from the original post, the telltale tufts of hair in the teeth of the leaf confirm the tree to have been Shagbark all along. The tight bark fooled me. This sort of barely-shaggy shagbark must be what old loggers referred to as “Bastard Hickory” according to Peattie’s natural history of eastern trees, as are two of the shagbarks I’ve discussed from the Leolyn grove.

The fern has also since been confirmed to be a new record for Botrychium oneidense, a NYS threatened species.

ElijahW

Post by ElijahW » Mon Apr 01, 2019 6:33 pm

Erik,

Lots of great finds! Congrats. Do you think the plantation is Depression-era or younger?

I’m finding that hickories can be figured out, but every feature sometimes needs to be keyed out; simply counting the number of leaflets or examining the bark texture isn’t enough. The 140’ Ellison Park Shagbark is similar in shag-factor to your hickory - relatively tight bark low on the trunk with increasing amounts of shag going up into the canopy.

I’m looking forward to seeing photos of the Norway Spruce. Keep up the good work,

Elijah
"There is nothing in the world to equal the forest as nature made it. The finest formal forest, the most magnificent artificially grown woods, cannot compare with the grandeur of primeval woodland." Bob Marshall, Recreational Limitations to Silviculture in the Adirondacks

Erik Danielsen

Post by Erik Danielsen » Tue Apr 02, 2019 3:58 pm

The plantation is most likely depression era or possibly even a couple years predating that, as according to the "botanical survey of allegany state park" compiled in the 1930s, efforts at reforestation via conifer plantations including norway spruce, scotch pine, red pine, and white pine got rolling in the park in the early 1920s. At the time that was written they noted that scotch pine seemed to be growing the most rapidly and predicted it would be much more successful than the red pine, commercially- so much for that! The red pines have by now quite outgrown the scotch pines, most of which are not well-formed. The plantings are large and ideally sited, so I can't really even say that this will be the tallest spruce, or that challengers for red pine or scotch pine state height records aren't in there as well.

Hickories are gradually making more and more sense to me too- as a single trait for positive identification, though, the tufts of hair in the teeth of C. ovata leaves are great! So far I have only seen significant populations of any hickory in ASP on the west-facing slopes of the basin of Crick's Run heading up to site A from the original post. That second-growth area seemed nice and tall and would be worth a return visit. Outside of that, I have seen a single bitternut and a single shagbark in now a few dozen miles of on- and off-trail trekking.

Erik Danielsen

Post by Erik Danielsen » Tue Dec 31, 2019 10:26 am

On November 26, 2019, after some explorations in ASP's Big Basin (report pending) with Jamestown NY old-growth enthusiast Chris Merchant, we decided to use the last hour or so of daylight to go measure a White Pine that Chris discovered several years before. He had sighted its emergent crown on aerial imagery of the forest lining aptly-named Pine Creek, a minor drainage at the northwestern edge of ASP's rugged landform. We hiked down the east bank of the creek to bypass a private inholding, before hiking the final stretch directly in the creekbed. It was clear that everything we passed through had a significant disturbance history prior to the park's establishment, including some small Red Pine and White Pine plantations more or less across the creek from the big tree.
Looking up into the canopy of the big tree.
Looking up into the canopy of the big tree.
R0018697.jpg (906.49 KiB) Viewed 447 times
The big White Pine itself stands ramrod-straight over a canopy of homogenous youngish hemlocks with scattered hardwoods, the sort of regeneration typical in hemlock-hardwoods stands that have most of their canopy removed followed by strong hemlock recruitment. Near the big pine was a large fallen Black Cherry- one of a handful of scattered trees along with the pine that probably initiated or were released by initial disturbance.
R0018694.jpg
R0018694.jpg (743.03 KiB) Viewed 448 times
The big white pine is youthful and vigorous, to the point of throwing off my sense of visual scale- it was further away than it looked, because it's larger than it looks like it should be! This tree is no doubt growing at a rapid clip. It's already the largest girth I've measured in the park, and may give the tallest few in the main Big Basin stand a run for their money in the next decade for height. It'll almost certainly join the 12'x150' club within a couple growing seasons. I look forward to modeling its volume at some point. Unless Chris has another name in mind, I'd like to name this Chris's Pine.
Full view of the tree- relatively even taper but it certainly has some mass in spite of its apparent youth.
Full view of the tree- relatively even taper but it certainly has some mass in spite of its apparent youth.
R0018707-HDR.jpg (903.37 KiB) Viewed 450 times
Chris's Pine:

151.7' Tall / 11.83' CBH / 45.2" DBH

Heading back to the road we traversed the steep east-facing slope on the west bank of Pine Creek to bypass the other side of the inholding. The slope forest was taller and less disturbed than I would have expected, hardwood-dominant Rich Mesophytic forest with many tuliptrees, oaks, white ash and others worth a return visit.

Return to “New York”