Ute Council Tree

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

Matt Markworth

Ute Council Tree

Post by Matt Markworth » Tue Oct 11, 2016 1:50 pm

NTS,

Heading south on US 50 through Delta, CO, I noticed a sign on the side of the road pointing the direction to the Ute Council Tree. That was all the convincing that I needed to turn around and see what the sign was all about.

With the car door open and motor running, I jumped out for a quick early morning measurement of the big cottonwood. I believe this is a Rio Grande cottonwood - based on gummy buds, range maps, and that my measurements roughly match a Rio Grande cottonwood in Delta, CO that is on the CO champion list. I measured the tree as 24.2' x 90'.
Ute Council 1.jpg
Ute Council 2.JPG
Ute Council 3.jpg
Matt

dbhguru

Re: Ute Council Tree

Post by dbhguru » Sun Oct 16, 2016 6:33 pm

Matt,

Congrats! That's a heck of a cottonwood. Colorado seems to have lots of surprises.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

Matt Markworth

Post by Matt Markworth » Tue Oct 25, 2016 6:56 pm

Bob,

Thanks!

The Medicine Bow Mountains, the San Juan Mountains, and all spaces in between were full of new sights and surprises for me. The aspen show was on full display and started up between Cheyenne and Laramie, kicked into gear in the Medicine Bow Mountains, subsided in Northwestern CO, and kicked into overdrive in Telluride and the San Juans. After spending four weeks there over the past couple years in summer, it was quite an experience to see Colorado in a different season.

Matt

ElijahW

Post by ElijahW » Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:00 pm

Matt,

Thanks for sharing this gnarly cottonwood with us. It's a very old-looking tree. Thanks, as well, for your posts on the other Colorado and Wyoming trees; they're a warm reminder of my travels out there. The West can be at once both desolate and welcoming.

Elijah
"There is nothing in the world to equal the forest as nature made it. The finest formal forest, the most magnificent artificially grown woods, cannot compare with the grandeur of primeval woodland." Bob Marshall, Recreational Limitations to Silviculture in the Adirondacks

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Fri Oct 28, 2016 10:28 am

Matt,

The tree challenge for us in Colorado is the competition between trees and the unending array of mountains and gorges. Such overwhelming landscape features leave the trees struggling to be noticed except in lagre patches and in bright colors.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

Matt Markworth

Post by Matt Markworth » Sun Oct 30, 2016 1:15 pm

Bob,

It'll be interesting to see if any other areas emerge that can compete with Hermosa Creek. Thank goodness Colorado's former largest unprotected roadless area now has some official protection.

Elijah,

I know exactly what you mean of how it can be both desolate and welcoming. I felt the weight of the stark, desolate landscape of Western Nebraska bearing down on me and crossing over into Wyoming and heading into Cheyenne was very welcoming. I stopped there for awhile and it was oddly reassuring to be back in civilization.

Matt

Matt Markworth

Post by Matt Markworth » Wed Dec 25, 2019 2:01 pm

Just an update on this tree. Looks like in 2017 it was dropping some branches and deemed to be a hazard.

Denver Post confirmation of tree being cut down: https://www.denverpost.com/2017/08/26/ute-council-tree-delta-cut-down/

Photo of 10' stump: https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/ute-council-tree

Return to “Colorado”