Remeasure, 124.83' White Pine, Carlisle, MA

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

#1)  Remeasure, 124.83' White Pine, Carlisle, MA

Postby AndrewJoslin » Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:54 pm

Edit: I woke up this morning and it occurred to me that I might have made a clinometer reading error on my "130" measurement. It's been awhile since I've done measuring and... this is a terrible excuse, I'm on day four of antibiotics for a bad case of Lyme disease. Yesterday I barely was able to drag myself into the woods but I really needed to get outside to keep my morale up. Today I'm finally on the upswing and feel pretty good. So I'm cooking up some crow soup right now and writing "mea culpa" a hundred times. I did a classic mistake, when I was reading my manual clinometer for the lower section of the trunk (I was slightly uphill for my measuring position) I read 12 degrees, when it was actually 8 degrees, and repeated that mistake a couple of times because I couldn't believe I was getting over 130' ;-) For my sine/top measurement 44 yards to the top, 54.5 degrees = 113.57, sine/bottom 28 yards to the base, 8 degrees = 11.26. total height = 124.83'

Child's play for all the seasoned measurers out there. I'm detailing the mistake as a reminder for people who don't measure as much to watch for these types of errors.

Kudos remain for the new 130's and 144' in Concord and Lincoln!

Andrew Joslin
Carlisle, MA
AndrewJoslin

Has Liked: 161 times
Has Been Liked: 88 times
Print view this post

#2)  Re: Remeasure, 124.83' White Pine, Carlisle, MA

Postby Joe » Thu Jul 21, 2016 12:36 pm

Lyme disease can mess with your head! I had a bad case of that plus anaplasmosis. I ended up in a Worcester hospital for 3 days. After they loaded me with anti biotics which stopped most of the symptoms- on the ride home (I wasn't driving) I never felt so spaced out- and believe, that's saying a lot! For a few days at home- I thought I had Alzheimers. So, we forgive you for an error in tree measuring!
Joe
Joe

Has Liked: 0 times
Has Been Liked: 171 times
Print view this post

#3)  Re: Remeasure, 124.83' White Pine, Carlisle, MA

Postby Matt Markworth » Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:34 pm

Andrew,

Glad to hear you're on the upswing and I've enjoyed reading your recent posts on the ents bbs. I always enjoy hearing about the trees of New England and am very much looking forward to my visit to NH/MA in September. I made the pilgrimage to Concord/Thoreau's cabin site in 2004, but haven't been back since - it's definitely been too long!

Matt
Matt Markworth

Has Liked: 1068 times
Has Been Liked: 828 times
Print view this post

#4)  Re: Remeasure, 124.83' White Pine, Carlisle, MA

Postby AndrewJoslin » Fri Jul 22, 2016 1:35 pm

Thanks Joe and Matt. I hope you look me up when you're in New England Matt.
-AJ
AndrewJoslin

Print view this post

#5)  Re: Remeasure, 124.83' White Pine, Carlisle, MA

Postby AndrewJoslin » Fri Jul 22, 2016 1:36 pm

Joe wrote:Lyme disease can mess with your head! I had a bad case of that plus anaplasmosis. I ended up in a Worcester hospital for 3 days. After they loaded me with anti biotics which stopped most of the symptoms- on the ride home (I wasn't driving) I never felt so spaced out- and believe, that's saying a lot! For a few days at home- I thought I had Alzheimers. So, we forgive you for an error in tree measuring!
Joe

That sounds rough Joe! It is no fun being sick with these tick illnesses!
-AJ
AndrewJoslin

Print view this post

#6)  Re: Remeasure, 124.83' White Pine, Carlisle, MA

Postby DougBidlack » Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:44 am

Andrew,

nice to hear from you again.  I've been a bit busy the last few months so I haven't been posting either but I continue to read everything and I'm hoping to start posting again soon.  Maybe we can get together with Jared and do some measuring together in eastern Mass.  We obviously go to many of the same locations.  Estabrook Woods in Concord is a good example as I'm there quite frequently.  This year we started doing tick drags at work and I chose Estabrook Woods as one of our three sites because I know it well.  As Jared's measurements prove, the site has some good trees.  If you guys are interested I'd like to show you the 144' white pine in Lincoln and maybe we could measure the other tall trees around it too.

Doug
DougBidlack

Has Liked: 0 times
Has Been Liked: 186 times
Print view this post

#7)  Re: Remeasure, 124.83' White Pine, Carlisle, MA

Postby AndrewJoslin » Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:32 am

DougBidlack wrote:Andrew,

nice to hear from you again.  I've been a bit busy the last few months so I haven't been posting either but I continue to read everything and I'm hoping to start posting again soon.  Maybe we can get together with Jared and do some measuring together in eastern Mass.  We obviously go to many of the same locations.  Estabrook Woods in Concord is a good example as I'm there quite frequently.  This year we started doing tick drags at work and I chose Estabrook Woods as one of our three sites because I know it well.  As Jared's measurements prove, the site has some good trees.  If you guys are interested I'd like to show you the 144' white pine in Lincoln and maybe we could measure the other tall trees around it too.

Doug

Sounds good Doug.
-AJ
AndrewJoslin

Print view this post

#8)  Re: Remeasure, 124.83' White Pine, Carlisle, MA

Postby dbhguru » Sun Jul 31, 2016 11:47 am

Andrew, Doug, Jared,

Good to know that you all will be combing the eastern Mass woods for outstanding trees in the near future. I'm looking forward to re-measuring lots of favorites in October and November. After returning from the West, I was successful in re-measuring the Jake Swamp white pine in MTSF - New England's tallest known tree. Jake just makes 174 feet, which is remarkable considering the dry summer, but Jake got most of its growing before the real drought set in.

Doug,

Do you see the possibility of more 140s on that Lincoln property?

Andrew,

Really great to see you posting again.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder and Executive Director
Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
dbhguru

Has Liked: 4 times
Has Been Liked: 1087 times
Print view this post

#9)  Re: Remeasure, 124.83' White Pine, Carlisle, MA

Postby a_blooming_botanist » Sun Sep 18, 2016 10:46 pm

DougBidlack wrote:Andrew,

Doug

Doug,

I'd love to see that 144-footer that you found in Lincoln! I've been trying so hard these past few months to find something in eastern Mass that can top that, but it ain't easy! I think it'd be fun to get some of those western Mass tree-measuring folk out to join us, too. We might have to bribe them with ice cream, but I bet we can get them to come out east.

Andrew,

Just today I took a stroll through the Carlisle pines to see what all the chatter is about. There are some nice, old pines in there, and that ancient hemlock is a god among trees! The tallest white pine that I measured today was 124.8 feet tall with a CBH of 116.5 inches (9.7 feet) -- must be the same one you measured about two months ago. Does this tree look familiar to you?

124.8-foot Carlisle pine - base.jpg

124.8-foot Carlisle pine - top.jpg

Jared

For this message the author a_blooming_botanist has received Likes :
Erik Danielsen
a_blooming_botanist

Has Liked: 103 times
Has Been Liked: 58 times
Print view this post

#10)  Re: Remeasure, 124.83' White Pine, Carlisle, MA

Postby AndrewJoslin » Sun Oct 30, 2016 1:17 pm

Yes Jared, I know the tree well, it's a pole with a very stripped crown, the Carlisle tall pines that remain are barely hanging on. A fine remnant grove though.
-AJ

For this message the author AndrewJoslin has received Likes :
a_blooming_botanist
AndrewJoslin

Print view this post

Next

Return to Massachusetts