Tall hophornbeam in Bolton

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

#11)  Re: Tall hophornbeam in Bolton

Postby dbhguru » Wed May 04, 2016 7:39 pm

Joe,

I'm presently in Keene Valley, NY in the Adirondacks. Monica and I just emerged from a quaint diner where I had a scrumptous piece of raspberry-rhubarb pie. Lawdy, Lawdy, was it good! And forthwith, I went out and bagged a beautiful 126-foot white pine. Pine and pie. They go together. Or is it pie and pine? And what name did I bestow on that pine?

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder and Executive Director
Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
dbhguru

Has Liked: 4 times
Has Been Liked: 1087 times
Print view this post

#12)  Re: Tall hophornbeam in Bolton

Postby a_blooming_botanist » Wed May 04, 2016 10:14 pm

Did you call it Macaroni? Or Humble Pine, perhaps?
a_blooming_botanist

Has Liked: 105 times
Has Been Liked: 58 times
Print view this post

#13)  Re: Tall hophornbeam in Bolton

Postby bbeduhn » Fri May 06, 2016 9:26 am

Jared,
I may have made the wrong call once or twice when I was green...okay, a dozen or more times, and it still happens. When you put yourself out there, your mistakes will be pointed out but that's how you learn. You likely will not ever misidentify a hophornbeam again. Even the best of us still make the wrong call from time to time. Keep the reports coming!
Last edited by bbeduhn on Fri May 06, 2016 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bbeduhn

Has Liked: 1124 times
Has Been Liked: 475 times
Print view this post

#14)  Re: Tall hophornbeam in Bolton

Postby a_blooming_botanist » Fri May 06, 2016 10:59 am

Brian,

Thanks for your consolation. ☺ In the past, my focus in the woods has been chiefly on identifying plant species, with little regard to size. I guess I just hadn’t spent enough time in the woods or in the right part of the woods, because I was under the impression that there is little tree diversity in this area. Everything fell more or less in the categories of oak, pine, maple, birch, aspen, beech, or hemlock. Now I’m beginning to take the time to examine the branching and root flare architecture of trees, the changes in the appearance of their bark through time, bud characteristics, habitat preferences, and other clues that can help identify a tree whose nearest leaves and flowers are 80 or more feet above the ground. Having mistaken a basswood for a hophornbeam once has had the desirable (or not-so-desirable) effect of making me second-guess every tree ID that I make. “How do I know that isn’t Tilia?,” I think to myself.

The other trouble is containing my excitement when I discover something that I think is really cool, even if only to me. If I take the time to make good IDs and measure a few representatives of several species, I think the reports will be more interesting. I’ll save all the juicy details for a post in the very near future, but I’ll just say that I was ecstatic yesterday when I found and measured a 112-foot hickory in these woods! I didn’t know there were hardwoods around here that topped 110’. More on that soon…

Bob,

My last comment wasn’t meant to be flippant. I have a strange brand of humor that I fear may not always come across in the intended way.

What name did you bestow upon that beautiful, 126-foot pine tree?

Jared
a_blooming_botanist

Has Liked: 105 times
Has Been Liked: 58 times
Print view this post

#15)  Re: Tall hophornbeam in Bolton

Postby dbhguru » Sat May 07, 2016 7:56 pm

Jared,

No sweat. I got the humor. Keep it coming.

I chose the unimaginative name of Pie Pine. Gotta come up with abetter name.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder and Executive Director
Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest

For this message the author dbhguru has received Likes :
a_blooming_botanist
dbhguru

Has Liked: 4 times
Has Been Liked: 1087 times
Print view this post