Haiku-Kiri Tree (Paulownia Tree)

Forums discussing individual tree species, tree families across their range, and tree identification questions & guides.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

Jenny

Haiku-Kiri Tree (Paulownia Tree)

Post by Jenny » Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:55 am

Haiku by Japanese Master Basho (1644-1694)

Won't you come and see
loneliness? Just one leaf
from the kiri tree.
Attachments
kiri_leaf.jpg
kiri_leaf.jpg (33.83 KiB) Viewed 2681 times
Suburbia is where the developer bulldozes out the trees, then names the streets after them. ~Bill Vaughn

Jenny

Re: Haiku-Kiri Tree (Paulownia Tree)

Post by Jenny » Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:14 pm

I don't know Kiri/Paulownia trees very well, so I don't know why one leaf of a Kiri tree would be 'loneliness'. Unless the whole tree had nothing but one leaf! Lonely indeed!

Jenny
Suburbia is where the developer bulldozes out the trees, then names the streets after them. ~Bill Vaughn

edfrank

Post by edfrank » Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:59 pm

Jenny,

The haiku seems to be comparing a person cut off from society and other people with a leaf being cut off from a tree. The leaf is lonely because it is no longer part of the tree and no longer has teh company of the other leaves.
"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky

James Parton

Post by James Parton » Sun Mar 14, 2010 2:13 pm

Jenny,

The tree is also called Royal Paulownia or the Empress Tree. I have also heard them called Princess Trees. They have very large leaves. Similar to that of Catalpa but even larger. They have beautiful very fragrant ( sometimes overwhelmingly so ) blossoms in May which overwinter in fuzzy buds which develop the previous year. A deep hard freeze sometimes kills them preventing them from blooming the following spring. They are very fast growers. I had one near my steps when I lived down in Deep Gap and cut it back one year. It grew back in one summer growing six feet in a single summer! They have seed pods in fall which many people dislike because they tend to litter up the yard. The wood is soft. I have heard it called " Cottonwood " here in the south. Sometimes the wood is used in the furniture trade. Like Ailanthus ( Tree of Heaven or Paradise Tree ) Paulownia is often invasive and is considered a weed tree, dispite it's beautiful large leaved habit and flowers, here in the southern US.

James
Attachments
Royal Paulownia.jpg
James E Parton
Ovate Course Graduate - Druid Student
Bardic Mentor
New Order of Druids

http://www.druidcircle.org/nod/index.ph ... Itemid=145

Jenny

Post by Jenny » Sun Mar 14, 2010 2:15 pm

Beautiful picture James and good to get to know this tree.

Ed, Oh no! That is lonely! Good interpretation. Thank you.

Jenny

Steve Galehouse

Post by Steve Galehouse » Sun Mar 14, 2010 9:41 pm

It's curious theses non-native, "invasive" trees have such a positive connotation from their native lands, with common names translated as "Tree-of-Heaven" and "Empress Tree".

They may think they're doing us a favor, or sharing the wealth.

Steve
every plant is native somewhere

James Parton

Post by James Parton » Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:59 am

Steve,

I have always found Tree of Heaven and Empress Tree both to be attractive trees. Beauty has nothing to do with them being invasive to an ecosystem.

JP
James E Parton
Ovate Course Graduate - Druid Student
Bardic Mentor
New Order of Druids

http://www.druidcircle.org/nod/index.ph ... Itemid=145

Return to “Tree Species, Families and Identification”