Larry Tucei's Pine and More

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

dbhguru

Larry Tucei's Pine and More

Post by dbhguru » Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:45 pm

Hi Folks,

With my sinus infection and allergies under control, Monica and I went up the Hermosa Creek Trail in the La Platas to visit the Larry Tucei Pine and look for other fine trees. When we got to Larry's tree, I set up and shot it from several locations and found a higher top. I got 149.0 feet, which includes a half foot to mid-slope. At mid-slope, I got 13.9 feet in girth. Here is a look at the tree with Monica in for scale.
Hermosa-LarryTuceiPine.jpg
Here is a look at the crown with an arrow pointing to the highest sprig.
Screen Shot 2013-07-17 at 5.06.41 PM.png
I estimate that this big pine has very close to 1,000 cubes in its trunk and with the limbs will certainly exceed 1,000. I may return with the monocular and model it for volume. My calculation is (13.9^2/(4*pi))*0.44 = 1007. The 0.44 figure is realistic for this tree - I think. Hopefully, I can model it with the monocular.

Every where one looks the ponderosas excel. Here is a taste of pondy power.
Hermosa-BigPondy.jpg
Hermosa-PondyPower-2.jpg
Hermosa-PondyPower-3.jpg
Hermosa-PondyPower-1.jpg
And now for a vista shot.
Hermosa-Vista.jpg
On this trek, I confirmed three new 150+ foot Colorado blues: (156.0. 152.0, and 151.5. This bring the total 150-foot Colorado blues along Hermosa Creek to 6. In addition, we have 7 ponderosas that reach 150, and 2 Doug firs. There are quite a few trees in the 140s. This is a very significant big tree site.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

Larry Tucei

Re: Larry Tucei's Pine and More

Post by Larry Tucei » Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:55 am

Bob- Wow with Monica in the photo you really can see how large that Ponderosa is. The tree is almost 150' cool! How far did you guys go in? That place is mega loaded with tall trees. Off trail the sky is the limit and I plan to come back out next year and find many more Pondy's and Doug Fir. Did the rains help slow down the fires? Larry

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:41 am

Larry,

We went about a quarter of a mile farther. No let up in the possibilities. Rains have helped with the fires, but the West Fork fire is still burning. Yes, next year can be a banner one, but this year isn't over. Next week I'll continue the hunt with Mark Rouw, the Iowa Big Tree Guy. We'll keep you posted.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder and President

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:50 pm

NTS

On next Tuesday, Laurie Swisher of the San Juan National Forest and I will model the Larry Tucei pine for volume. I'm guessing somewhere between 900 and 1,000 cubes for the trunk. I plan to use the Vortex Solo RT 8 x 36 monocular and the LTI TruPulse 360. I also plan to use some photographic analysis for limbs. I should have results by Wednesday or Thursday. I appreciate the Forest Service backing this effort. We really do have a partnership with the San Juan NF.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder and President

Matt Markworth

Post by Matt Markworth » Thu Nov 12, 2015 10:02 pm

Larry,

I took some photos of the Larry Tucei Ponderosa Pine at Hermosa Creek this year and made a little 3D video. Great tree!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHgiuRgFejQ

Matt

Will Blozan

Post by Will Blozan » Fri Nov 13, 2015 10:33 am

Bob,

When Matt and I revisited and remeasured the Tucei pine this summer we concluded it was a good bit smaller in volume than the new discovery of the "Bertolette Pine" on the same trip. The Tucei Pine does not have a round trunk and is rather elliptical (I think we measured an 8" differential) and the trunk taper is very conical suggesting a "young" tree. I would think the form factor more appropriate would be .35 for the trunk and of course the tree has lots of branches.

In contrast, the "Bertolette Pine" is just a hair smaller in girth (13'6") and height (148.5') but slowly tapered and sporting some massive branch systems. Here are some shots of the tree. It would be a breeze to model for volume and with horse shuttling assistance a climb would be no big deal.
BP-9.jpg
BP-4.jpg
BP-5.jpg
BP-2.jpg
BP-3.jpg
-Will

Don

Post by Don » Fri Nov 13, 2015 3:08 pm

Will-
A good example of thick ponderosa pine bark insulating it from the scorching of wildfires...part of the species adaptation to fire!
-Don
Don Bertolette - President/Moderator, WNTS BBS
Restoration Forester (Retired)
Science Center
Grand Canyon National Park

BJCP Apprentice Beer Judge

View my Alaska Big Tree List Webpage at:
http://www.akbigtreelist.org

Matt Markworth

Post by Matt Markworth » Fri Dec 20, 2019 4:29 pm

NTS,

It's really nice to see the BBS up and running. Thanks Ed! (probably)

I visited Hermosa Creek in November 2019 and will be reporting on some of the superlatives there. Many survived the 416 fire, many didn't. With the time I had I didn't go farther than Dutch Creek and Clear Creek, so I won't have a report on the Don Bertolette Ponderosa Pine, the Kevin Markworth Blue Spruce, or the ~165' ponderosa pine that Will spotted in 2015.

Unfortunately the Larry Tucei Ponderosa Pine did not survive, as Stony Creek got hit very hard.

Here are some photos of the pine and Stony Creek. The scene is particularly harsh when contrasted with Bob's photos at the very beginning of this thread.

IMG_0934.jpg
IMG_0961.JPG
IMG_0962.JPG
IMG_0963.JPG
IMG_0964.JPG
IMG_0965.JPG
IMG_0930.JPG

ElijahW

Post by ElijahW » Mon Dec 23, 2019 7:45 pm

Mark,

That’s a lot of dead trees. I’m glad you guys were able to document at least a part of what the Hermosa Creek area was able to produce. Do you know if the dead snags will be left as they are or removed as salvage?

Elijah

Matt Markworth

Post by Matt Markworth » Wed Dec 25, 2019 1:44 pm

Elijah,

I haven't seen anything official, but for now it appears that they are going with a strategy of using "enter at your risk" signs and doing trail maintenance as necessary.

In the wilderness area I think they're required to leave the snags alone. In the special management area, it wouldn't surprise me if they cut some of the most hazardous snags, but I'd be surprised if there is any large scale cutting of snags.

Matt

Return to “Colorado”