Boogerman Loop and "new" 180' white pine

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

#1)  Boogerman Loop and "new" 180' white pine

Postby Will Blozan » Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:21 pm

NTS,

Today I took a group from Ontario Canada into the Smokies for their first foray into the Cataloochee Valley. We did the Boogerman Loop Trail with the goals of seeing the Boogerman Pine and the Sag Branch Tuliptree. Even though foot bridges were out and the morning was cold we had a successful trip. As I predicted the hemlock carnage upstream is now flowing down and taking out bridges. I call these "Tsugnamis".

Icy crossing.jpg

Icy crossing.jpg (266.44 KiB) Viewed 4311 times

Tsugnami.jpg

Tsugnami.jpg (274.54 KiB) Viewed 4311 times

I am please to report that the Boog suffered no noticeable crown damage this past windy winter. I measured the girth for Matt's list which was 111.5 cm (43.9") diameter. This tree has not perceptively changed in diameter since it's discovery in 1993. I did not measure the height as the regrowth from the death of the hemlocks was so thick and I doubt it has changed since last measurement- at least not within the resolution of the handheld instruments.

The Boog 1.jpg

The Boog 1.jpg (324.86 KiB) Viewed 4311 times

We next saw the HUGE chestnut oak on the west prong of Sag Branch which is a whopping 123.0 cm (48.4") diameter and ~140' (42.7 m) tall. This tree has a lot of wood and may be among the largest specimens known.

Sag Branch chestnut oak.jpg

Sag Branch chestnut oak.jpg (327.26 KiB) Viewed 4311 times

After the oak we went to the Sag Branch Tuliptree which is doing splendidly. NO new crown damage and lots of live tops and new leaves.

Sag Branch Tulip 1.jpg

Sag Branch Tulip 1.jpg (337.3 KiB) Viewed 4311 times

Sag Branch Tulip 2.jpg

Sag Branch Tulip 2.jpg (298.62 KiB) Viewed 4311 times

The find of the day was not a new find but a remeasure of the "Palmer Pole". This large white pine has been a bugger to measure but now that the hemlocks have all died visibility is great. Michael Davie and I have tried several times to measure this great tree but were thwarted by thick brush and dense hemlocks. No good sightings could be made. As we approached the tree from the west I could clearly see the crown and the high point. All previous measurements were to side branches due to the steep angle and poor visibility. Well, this large 115.7 cm (45.6") tree is an outstanding 183' (55.8 m) tall! This make tree #9 over 180' for the species and the 5th tree in the Smokies. Sweet!!!!!

Palmer Pole 1.jpg

Palmer Pole 1.jpg (258.82 KiB) Viewed 4311 times

Palmer Pole 2.jpg

Palmer Pole 2.jpg (247.15 KiB) Viewed 4311 times

Will

For this message the author Will Blozan has received Likes - 7:
AccipiterGentilis, bbeduhn, Jess Riddle, Matt Markworth, mdavie, pdbrandt, Tyler
Will Blozan

Has Liked: 1558 times
Has Been Liked: 441 times
Print view this post

#2)  Re: Boogerman Loop and "new" 180' white pine

Postby edfrank » Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:33 pm

Will,

Congratulations on getting a measurement on the "Palmer Pole."  I am glad the Boogerman Pine and Sag Branch tulip survived the winter without top damage.  Cool big chestnut oak, they are among the oldest oaks as well.  I see the big debris from the downed hemlocks clogging the stream and crashing bridges.  I am wondering if you have noticed any adverse problems associated with all the hemlock needles that fell?  Did it affect the stream quality or biodiversity in the streams?  I was wondering about any episodes of anoxia from the volume of needles being flushed into the system?  There was talk about the potential to change some of the streams or sections of them from cold water to warm water streams due to the loss of shade.

Edward Forrest Frank
"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky
edfrank
Site Admin

{ IMAGES }: 0
Has Liked: 915 times
Has Been Liked: 706 times
Blog: View Blog (3)
Print view this post

#3)  Re: Boogerman Loop and "new" 180' white pine

Postby Will Blozan » Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:45 pm

Ed,

I can't speak for changes in scientific terms but I have seen the creeks run red from tannic acid after heavy rains. I know there is substantiated increases in water flow in drainages due to loss of hemlock and I wouldn't doubt for a minute that Caldwell Fork- with square miles of dead hemlock forest upstream- is flowing higher and more voluminous than ever. This will likely change as the new saplings of birch, silverbell, and others start to absorb more water. However, the vast sponge of the deep, dark hemlock forest duff layers will probably degrade and flood events could become more intense.

Cataloochee is a serious downer these days.

Will
Will Blozan

Has Liked: 1558 times
Has Been Liked: 441 times
Print view this post

#4)  Re: Boogerman Loop and "new" 180' white pine

Postby mdavie » Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:14 pm

Will Blozan wrote:
Cataloochee is a serious downer these days.

Will

It sure is, isn't it? Unbelievable how devastated it is compared to the past. Even though we knew it was coming and I know I tried to ready myself, it's worse than I could have imagined. Especially there; it's simply a disaster.

For this message the author mdavie has received Likes - 2:
edfrank, Will Blozan
mdavie

Has Liked: 250 times
Has Been Liked: 34 times
Print view this post

#5)  Re: Boogerman Loop and "new" 180' white pine

Postby dbhguru » Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:42 pm

Will,

Congratulations on the confirmation of the Palmer Pole. It is comforting to know that the Great Whites haven't given up the competition with the tulips.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder and Executive Director
Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
dbhguru

Has Liked: 4 times
Has Been Liked: 1087 times
Print view this post

Return to Great Smoky Mountains National Park