Cedar photo- Stone Mountain, GA

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

#1)  Cedar photo- Stone Mountain, GA

Postby edfrank » Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:19 am

stonemountaincedar.jpg

Clayton Adams to Native Tree Society

An ancient split trunk Southern red cedar tree drinks rain water from a granite pool on Stone Mountain. Juniperus Virginiana.

"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky

For this message the author edfrank has received Likes - 3:
jamesrobertsmith, Jess Riddle, JohnAtl
edfrank
Site Admin

{ IMAGES }: 0
Has Liked: 915 times
Has Been Liked: 706 times
Blog: View Blog (3)
Print view this post

#2)  Re: Cedar photo- Stone Mountain, GA

Postby csadsamsrep » Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:35 pm

This red cedar tree  has such an irregular trunk shape that it is an interesting project to try to score it in some way for its size. Its widest or thickest aspect within the first few feet of its trunk is about 18 inches or so. This tree is growing out of basically granite rock substrate pockets of decomposed foliage where other plants and tree material are caught. The rainwater pool very rarely dries up to the point of having no reserve in it, but I have seen it happen once during prolonged southern drought in Georgia in the last 5-6 years. Even though it has the water resource, the soil and nutrient resources here are quite nominal at best, and it is very amazing this tree grew to be this size, and it is amazing it is so gnarly in its form. It is very old, I believe.

I am adding another photo of the tree as shown from the side, and this perspective sort of projects the idea of the title, "Old Man Cedar". Now with the big head of Juniperus foliage, which could look like a full head of hair, it could be called, "Old Woman Cedar", but I must say that despite this head of hair the tree looks more masculine in its form with the gnarly and thick trunk etc. After all, men can have "big hair" too.

100_1468 (2).jpg

Old Man Cedar, Juniperus Virginiana, Stone Mountain, GA

For this message the author csadsamsrep has received Likes :
bbeduhn
csadsamsrep

Has Liked: 0 times
Has Been Liked: 1 times
Print view this post

Return to Georgia