Cloud Mapping of the LaPine Ponderosa Pine, OR

General discussions of measurement techniques and the results of testing of techniques and equipment.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

Post Reply
User avatar
M.W.Taylor
Site Admin
Posts: 530
Joined: Sun May 29, 2011 11:45 am

Cloud Mapping of the LaPine Ponderosa Pine, OR

Post by M.W.Taylor » Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:20 pm

I just processed the point cloud from recent pictures taken by Ascending the Giant and Terry Asker. From 37 images I get a good lower bole point cloud included the sign. When you look down the barrel you can clearly see LaPine was two trees that fused a long time ago. This cross-section has the classic "heart shaped lobes". Just like Drury Tree. See attached JPG images of Meshlab point cloud. You can download meshlab at http://meshlab.sourceforge.net/

This is the best open source and free 3D graphic view by far that I know about.

Michael Taylor

WNTS VP
http://www.landmarktrees.net
American Forests Big Trees Coordinator For California
Attachments

[The extension ply has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

trunk side view point cloud with sign
trunk side view point cloud with sign
lapine giant looking down bole with Meshlab
lapine giant looking down bole with Meshlab

User avatar
edfrank
Posts: 4217
Joined: Sun Mar 07, 2010 5:46 pm

Re: Cloud Mapping of the LaPine Ponderosa Pine

Post by edfrank » Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:07 pm

Michael,

Pretty cool. Is the ply file attached the same as the one you have in your display? The side view doesn't seem to look the same on my screen - the upper portion of the trunk is absent or different in my image.

I see the two heart-like shapes at the upper end of the trunk, but as I zoom down the cross-section seems circular. You have been looking at these longer than I have and I haven't seen the tree itself. Does the tree split farther up into two trunks? How would you distinguish something that was two fused trees versus one that splits based on the mesh cross-section?

Ed
trunk cross-section.JPG
trunk cross-section.JPG (31.11 KiB) Viewed 3417 times
trunk from bottom.JPG
trunk from bottom.JPG (33.87 KiB) Viewed 3417 times
trunk side-view.JPG
.
"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky

User avatar
M.W.Taylor
Site Admin
Posts: 530
Joined: Sun May 29, 2011 11:45 am

Re: Cloud Mapping of the LaPine Ponderosa Pine

Post by M.W.Taylor » Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:02 am

Hey Ed,

Your pixel size is too large. Try under "Tools" menu, "options", then scroll down the list until you see "Appearance/Point Size". Select 2 for size. This will make the dense point clouds look more realistic and not blocky. You can also change your screen background color here.

Michael Taylor
edfrank wrote:Michael,

Pretty cool. Is the ply file attached the same as the one you have in your display? The side view doesn't seem to look the same on my screen - the upper portion of the trunk is absent or different in my image.

I see the two heart-like shapes at the upper end of the trunk, but as I zoom down the cross-section seems circular. You have been looking at these longer than I have and I haven't seen the tree itself. Does the tree split farther up into two trunks? How would you distinguish something that was two fused trees versus one that splits based on the mesh cross-section?

Ed
trunk cross-section.JPG
trunk from bottom.JPG
trunk side-view.JPG
.

User avatar
Rand
Posts: 1217
Joined: Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:25 pm

Re: Cloud Mapping of the LaPine Ponderosa Pine, OR

Post by Rand » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:31 pm

Here's an overall picture I took while visiting in 2010. Big tree.
lapine-2 001.jpg
Is this the group you were with Michael?
Brian French has spent much of his life with his head in the clouds and his feet in the trees.

The president of the Portland nonprofit Ascending the Giants travels across Oregon climbing the state’s largest trees to measure, photograph and raise awareness about their unique ecosystems.

...

Two weeks ago, French and a team of climbers used ropes and harnesses to ascend a ponderosa pine known as the “La Pine Giant” and “Big Red” to get its official measurements.

The tree, which is in La Pine State Park along the Deschutes River, was found to be 167.7 feet tall, 347 inches in circumference and with a quarter crown spread of 17 feet.

The total score of 532 should be enough to make the tree a champion on the National Register of Big Trees — published biennially by Washington, D.C., nonprofit American Forests since 1940 — when the newest edition is released April 26.
lapine.jpg
lapine.jpg (72.67 KiB) Viewed 3260 times
http://www.statesmanjournal.com/article ... asurements

User avatar
M.W.Taylor
Site Admin
Posts: 530
Joined: Sun May 29, 2011 11:45 am

Re: Cloud Mapping of the LaPine Ponderosa Pine, OR

Post by M.W.Taylor » Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:22 pm

Hey Rand,

I was not there during the climb and picture taking. They just sent me the photo-bundle and I used photosynth to extract the point cloud. I plan to visit the tree for the first time later this year. I'll get more pictures for photosynthing if the weather is decent.

Michael


Rand wrote:Here's an overall picture I took while visiting in 2010. Big tree.
lapine-2 001.jpg
Is this the group you were with Michael?
Brian French has spent much of his life with his head in the clouds and his feet in the trees.

The president of the Portland nonprofit Ascending the Giants travels across Oregon climbing the state’s largest trees to measure, photograph and raise awareness about their unique ecosystems.

...

Two weeks ago, French and a team of climbers used ropes and harnesses to ascend a ponderosa pine known as the “La Pine Giant” and “Big Red” to get its official measurements.

The tree, which is in La Pine State Park along the Deschutes River, was found to be 167.7 feet tall, 347 inches in circumference and with a quarter crown spread of 17 feet.

The total score of 532 should be enough to make the tree a champion on the National Register of Big Trees — published biennially by Washington, D.C., nonprofit American Forests since 1940 — when the newest edition is released April 26.
lapine.jpg
http://www.statesmanjournal.com/article ... asurements

User avatar
Don
Posts: 1560
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:42 am

Re: Cloud Mapping of the LaPine Ponderosa Pine, OR

Post by Don » Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:14 am

Michael-
So the LaPine Giant is a fused twin that unfuses in the photo where the two climbers are?
-Don
Don Bertolette - President/Moderator, WNTS BBS
Restoration Forester (Retired)
Science Center
Grand Canyon National Park

BJCP Apprentice Beer Judge

View my Alaska Big Tree List Webpage at:
http://www.akbigtreelist.org

User avatar
mdvaden
Posts: 882
Joined: Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:30 pm

Re: Cloud Mapping of the LaPine Ponderosa Pine, OR

Post by mdvaden » Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:07 am

Don wrote:Michael-
So the LaPine Giant is a fused twin that unfuses in the photo where the two climbers are?
-Don
That's a codominant leader up there.

To "unfuse" would probably require an actual splitting during a storm that ripped apart a potential fuse.

The base of that pine looks like a single tree.
M. D. Vaden of Oregon = http://www.mdvaden.com

200 Pages - Coast Redwoods - http://www.mdvaden.com/grove_of_titans.shtml

Portraits & Weddings - http://www.vadenphotography.com

User avatar
Don
Posts: 1560
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:42 am

Re: Cloud Mapping of the LaPine Ponderosa Pine, OR

Post by Don » Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:08 pm

Mario-
If you go back up to the top and read Michael's post, he suggests that the LaPine "...was two trees that fused a long time ago.", and provides a LaPine cloud-mapped image that suggests as Michael says "...heart shaped lobes..."
Having said that, it was only after rereading Michael's post that I caught up with what he was saying...looking at the mid-section image with two climbers, it would be very easy (good bar bet picture!) to say it was "...a co-dominant leader..." I've a number of images I could gather on request that show fused trees "unfusing" without violent events involved...
-Don
M.W.Taylor wrote:I just processed the point cloud from recent pictures taken by Ascending the Giant and Terry Asker. From 37 images I get a good lower bole point cloud included the sign. When you look down the barrel you can clearly see LaPine was two trees that fused a long time ago. This cross-section has the classic "heart shaped lobes". Just like Drury Tree. See attached JPG images of Meshlab point cloud. You can download meshlab at http://meshlab.sourceforge.net/

This is the best open source and free 3D graphic view by far that I know about.

Michael Taylor

WNTS VP
http://www.landmarktrees.net
American Forests Big Trees Coordinator For California
Don Bertolette - President/Moderator, WNTS BBS
Restoration Forester (Retired)
Science Center
Grand Canyon National Park

BJCP Apprentice Beer Judge

View my Alaska Big Tree List Webpage at:
http://www.akbigtreelist.org

Post Reply

Return to “Measurement and Dendromorphometry”