Three favorite tree Question.

General discussions of forests and trees that do not focus on a specific species or specific location.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

#1)  Three favorite tree Question.

Postby bountreehunter » Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:20 pm

I was Reading Colby Ruckers material today and i was in a part where he listed his favorite trees from 1-65. #65 was his least favorite, and understandably it was a Boxelder. His #1 was surprising to me though. I hesitate to tell those of you who do not know what it is because i don't want to influence my next question. What is your 3 favorite Native trees and list them #1, #2 and #3. Colby gave reasons for his favorites and i would like to hear what your reasons are.I know its a hard question and truthfully my answers may change depending on when you asked me this question.

For this message the author bountreehunter has received Likes :
Larry Tucei
bountreehunter

Has Liked: 4 times
Has Been Liked: 6 times
Print view this post

#2)  Re: Three favorite tree Question.

Postby jamesrobertsmith » Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:07 pm

#1: Eastern and Carolina hemlock (two, yeah, but what the heck).

#2: Tulip tree.

#3: Fraser fir.

For this message the author jamesrobertsmith has received Likes :
RyanLeClair
jamesrobertsmith

Has Liked: 524 times
Has Been Liked: 118 times
Print view this post

#3)  Re: Three favorite tree Question.

Postby RyanLeClair » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:54 pm

I'm so glad you asked this question, but it's sooo difficult to choose. I actually think Colby's #1 species will appear on this thread. He chose a good one.
RyanLeClair

Has Liked: 35 times
Has Been Liked: 40 times
Print view this post

#4)  Re: Three favorite tree Question.

Postby adam.rosen » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:56 pm

Yellow Birch
Sugar Maple
Great big red oaks

For this message the author adam.rosen has received Likes :
RyanLeClair
adam.rosen

Has Liked: 0 times
Has Been Liked: 21 times
Print view this post

#5)  Re: Three favorite tree Question.

Postby ElijahW » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:58 pm

Bountry,

Good question.  I remember the topic being discussed before, but it never gets old.  My list:

1.  Quercus rubra; it's the most common oak native to my area, has large leaves, and I think the bark looks cool.
2.  Pseudotsuga menziesii; one of the most versatile trees - fast-growing, capable of extreme dimensions, excellent for lumber, good looking.
3.  Larix laricina; tough choice, but how can you argue with a cone-bearing deciduous tree with common names like hackmatack and tamarack?

Elijah
"There is nothing in the world to equal the forest as nature made it. The finest formal forest, the most magnificent artificially grown woods, cannot compare with the grandeur of primeval woodland." Bob Marshall, Recreational Limitations to Silviculture in the Adirondacks

For this message the author ElijahW has received Likes :
RyanLeClair
ElijahW

Has Liked: 209 times
Has Been Liked: 268 times
Print view this post

#6)  Re: Three favorite tree Question.

Postby RyanLeClair » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:05 pm

Loving these answers :)

Picea sitchensis might be my favorite. Can't think of another two.
RyanLeClair

Has Liked: 35 times
Has Been Liked: 40 times
Print view this post

#7)  Re: Three favorite tree Question.

Postby Chris » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:26 pm

#1 Virginia Pine - I always think of a short, knobby, twisted specimen growing straight out of some sandstone knob. They are tough individuals that takes the worst nature can give, yet still grows and maintains a unique individuality.

#2 Black Maple - The tree of my youth. There are some big, spreading, open grown specimens around my parents place. Those trees during a blaze of orange in October is my vision of autumn.

# Quaking Aspen - This is an odd one because in the east, the tree doesn't really have much magic. But go west... it is simply pops. There is nothing like crossing endless acres of sagebrush or shortgrass prairie [lovely places in their own right] to come to some rising mountains and finding a clonal group of Aspen sheltering in some valley, the wind twisting the leaves every direction.

For this message the author Chris has received Likes :
bountreehunter
Chris

Has Liked: 144 times
Has Been Liked: 61 times
Print view this post

#8)  Re: Three favorite tree Question.

Postby edfrank » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:48 pm

I must reference memories from my childhood to answer this question:

#1 Sassafras (Sassafras albidum) - I spent many hours looking at the different shaped leaves from the tree.  I found leaves with up to 7 prongs on them.  It had that sassafras smell.  I drank tea made from its roots.  the tree has beautiful yellow and orange colored leaves in the fall.

#2 Eastern hemlock (Tsuga canadiensis) - I like the cool shade under the tree and the dense foliage.  The hemlock also has a distinctive smell to the fresh leaves.  

#3 Black Gum  (Nyssa sylvatica) - the leaves in the fall are a brilliant red and orange color, almost flourescent in hue.  The bark has a fantastic pattern with deep ridges and grooves.

Edward Frank
"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky
edfrank
Site Admin

{ IMAGES }: 0
Has Liked: 915 times
Has Been Liked: 706 times
Blog: View Blog (3)
Print view this post

#9)  Re: Three favorite tree Question.

Postby bountreehunter » Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:34 am

Chris, your descriptions almost make me want to change my answers, and isn't it amazing how Nostalgia influences our choices.
Ed, I have never drank tea from a sassafras but now feel i need to try it.  I love your choices though none of those trees made my top 3.
Elijah, I love the Northern Red oak as well and this one made my top 5 but not the final 3.

#1 Black Walnut- I love the virtually taperless trunks, The Bark's color and texture catch my eye everytime i walk by one. The patternless path that the branshes take make each and everyone unique and eye candy for me.

#2 American Hornbeam- This is my Nostalgic tree, they grow all over the banks of Deer creek in Harford county Maryland and the "Muscles" that this tree exibits to me is so  astetically pleasing.

#3 American sycamore- This choice was tough because i was really torn between many choices, but the winter silhouette of a sycamore standing alone in a field makes this tre to me the perfectly shaped tree to me (even better then the white oak). Its girth only gives me more to love.
bountreehunter

Has Liked: 4 times
Has Been Liked: 6 times
Print view this post

#10)  Re: Three favorite tree Question.

Postby AndrewJoslin » Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:00 pm

From my northeast U.S. perspective, if I lived in the PNW for example, would probably be a different group:

1. White Pine
The signature tree of the New England landscape, its wind swept crown shape is deeply imprinted in my memory and leads to thoughts of pine scented groves and thick pine needle duff.

2. American Beech
The most graceful, elegant tree in the northeast forest. The filtered green light under a beech and smooth pale bark are among its many virtues.

3. Black Gum (Nyssa sylvatica)
Agree with Ed Frank on this one. On mature specimens I like the way the large horizontal limbs look like they're stuck on to the trunk, seems to be very little limb diameter change at the trunk union. Also like the wet woods habitat where it thrives.

-AJ
Last edited by AndrewJoslin on Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AndrewJoslin

Has Liked: 161 times
Has Been Liked: 88 times
Print view this post

Next

Return to General Discussions