Richmond: Hollywood Cemetery

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

#1)  Richmond: Hollywood Cemetery

Postby Barry Caselli » Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:36 am

My father and brother and I just came home from a 5 day trip down to Greeneville, Tennessee and back. We went to a funeral in Tennessee, but made several stops along the way down and on the way back to see big trees and historic places. The last stop on the way home was this cemetery. All through this cemetery there are giant American Hollies and Southern Magnolias. Plus there are a few giant Tuliptrees, Bald Cypresses, White Oaks and Willow Oaks. All except the white oaks were the biggest I had ever seen of each species. I will try and post some photos later, maybe tomorrow. I will also post about our other stops later. But I couldn't let this one wait.
If any of you is ever in or near Richmond, you must visit this cemetery! Some of the trees were mind-blowing, to me. I think my brother read about the cemetery in the Remarkable Trees book (which I think is an awesome book).
P.S.- none of us brought any tapes to measure with. We never gave it a thought. But as far as I know all the big trees in this cemetery are inventoried, and who knows, maybe they have been measured. I don't know.
Barry

For this message the author Barry Caselli has received Likes :
RyanLeClair
Barry Caselli

Has Liked: 93 times
Has Been Liked: 35 times
Print view this post

#2)  Re: Richmond: Hollywood Cemetery

Postby edfrank » Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:02 am

Barry,

Thanks for the heads up.  I am unsure if anyone has measured at the cemetery, or at least I do not remember a post about it.  How about it NTS, have any of you visited the site and measured trees?  I look forward to the photos from the trip.

Ed
"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky
edfrank
Site Admin

{ IMAGES }: 0
Has Liked: 915 times
Has Been Liked: 706 times
Blog: View Blog (3)
Print view this post

#3)  Re: Richmond: Hollywood Cemetery

Postby edfrank » Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:13 am

NTS,

from Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hollywood_Cemetery_%28Richmond,_Virginia%29

Hollywood Cemetery is a large, sprawling cemetery located at 412 South Cherry Street in Richmond, Virginia. Characterized by rolling hills and winding paths overlooking the James River, it is the resting place of two United States Presidents, James Monroe and John Tyler, as well as the only Confederate States President, Jefferson Davis. It is also the resting place of 25 Confederate generals, more than any other cemetery in the country. Included are George Pickett and J.E.B. Stuart.

The attachment 800px-Hollywood_Cemetery-With_Skyline_and_River.jpg is no longer available

Hollywood Cemetery was opened in 1849, constructed on land known as "Harvie's Woods" that was once owned by William Byrd II. It was designed in the rural garden style, with its name, "Hollywood," coming from the holly trees dotting the hills of the property.

800px-Hollywood_Cemetery-With_Skyline_and_River.jpg

800px-Hollywood_Cemetery-With_Skyline_and_River.jpg (66.21 KiB) Viewed 3781 times

See also:  http://www.hollywoodcemetery.org/index.html

hollywood.JPG

"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky
edfrank
Site Admin

{ IMAGES }: 0
Has Liked: 915 times
Has Been Liked: 706 times
Blog: View Blog (3)
Print view this post

#4)  Re: Richmond: Hollywood Cemetery

Postby Larry Tucei » Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:18 pm

Barry,  I would love to go to that Cemetery, lots of history. I found this link- http://hollywoodcemetery.org/history-slideshow.html  Also looking forward to the photos. I need to get up to Virginia lots of fabulous trees up that way.  Larry
Larry Tucei

Has Liked: 708 times
Has Been Liked: 592 times
Print view this post

#5)  Re: Richmond: Hollywood Cemetery

Postby Barry Caselli » Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:43 pm

Most of the American Hollies in this cemetery were big and tall. Here is one of the biggest:
Attachments
DSC04236.JPG
Barry Caselli

Print view this post

#6)  Re: Richmond: Hollywood Cemetery

Postby Chris » Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:54 pm

That is a big holly indeed!

For this message the author Chris has received Likes :
Barry Caselli
Chris

Has Liked: 144 times
Has Been Liked: 61 times
Print view this post

#7)  Re: Richmond: Hollywood Cemetery

Postby adam.rosen » Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:08 pm

I went there on Christmas day, will post my photos in a few days.  Beautiful trees in this park.  Here's what I think, not a one of them was planted/seeded prior to1849.  Great examples of how large a tree can grow in 160 years.  Tulips, Bald Cypress, one really phat sycamore.
adam.rosen

Has Liked: 0 times
Has Been Liked: 21 times
Print view this post

#8)  Re: Richmond: Hollywood Cemetery

Postby adam.rosen » Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:53 am

Here are some photos, of the southern pine species that I can't identify, tulip poplar, sycamore, and bald cypress.  Nothing spectacular, just nice trees in a beautiful spot, about 150 years old.  Really, an amazing scenic spot, overlooking the James River.  A must see for Ents visiting Richmond VA.
Attachments
Jim in front of cypress grove..jpg
huge holly and pine.jpg
confexderate memorial from 1869.jpg
confexderate memorial from 1869.jpg
close up, big trunk sycamore.jpg
sycamore tree.jpg
another tulip poplar.jpg

For this message the author adam.rosen has received Likes :
Barry Caselli
adam.rosen

Has Been Liked: 21 times
Print view this post

#9)  Re: Richmond: Hollywood Cemetery

Postby Barry Caselli » Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:19 pm

I didn't realize anyone had responded to this post.
In January of 2013 we had to drive through Virginia again, so we made it a point to stop at this cemetery again. This time we measured some of the trees.
We measured the holly seen in the picture I originally posted. That came out to be 8'4½" cbh.
We also measured a Bald Cypress at 14'11½" cbh, a Southern Magnolia at 14'1½" cbh, a Tuliptree at 19'11½" cbh, and a Willow Oak at 20'1" cbh.
These are shown in the attached pictures.
We also measured a few other trees.

DSC04235.JPG

14'11½" cbh Bald Cypress

IMG_7947.jpg

14'1½" cbh Southern Magnolia

DSC04253.JPG

19'11½" cbh Tuliptree

DSC04366.JPG

20'1" cbh Willow Oak

For this message the author Barry Caselli has received Likes - 3:
Rand, tsharp, Will Blozan
Barry Caselli

Print view this post

#10)  Re: Richmond: Hollywood Cemetery

Postby Joe » Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:16 am

Since, it seems, there are so many nice trees in cemetaries, it would be interesting to produce a coffee table book showing the very best- with a compartive study of the cemetaries of North America. Often the gravestones are very interesting too- as sculpture so the book could show both the great trees and great gravestones. Life and death and art. Perhaps something like this could be a NTS project.
Joe

For this message the author Joe has received Likes :
Barry Caselli
Joe

Has Been Liked: 171 times
Print view this post

Next

Return to Virginia