Bartholmew's cobble

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

#1)  Bartholmew's cobble

Postby adam.rosen » Sat Jun 25, 2011 1:27 pm

I know that there have been some nice posts about the huge cottowood and it's smaller bretheren at Bartholomew's Cobble.  Well, for the trouble of two tick bites, I have some photos of that tree, as well as nice tulip tree that has been marked at the Cobble.  Bartholmew's Cobble is a very nice place to visit on the Northern Mass and Connecticut border, and I think the whole Route 7 corridor, from Connecticut to Pittsfield, is prime tree viewing territory.]adam next to cotton wood.jpg[/attachment]jpg[/attachment]

adam next to tulip tree.jpg

Here's me next to this wonderful tulip tree at the cobble.  Girth didn't get measure, but you've got 110 kilos for comparison.

Attachments
big cottonwood.jpg
And here is that whole Cottonwood, a tree that i know has been measured and get's checked in on. Wear your tick repellent!
adam next to cotton wood.jpg
And here I am with this wonderful cottonwood. I love this tree! Supposedly, one in Hubbarton VT is bigger, but someone will have to take me there. (400+ Points--in Vermont--Show me)
tulip tree.jpg
More of the tulip tree. What a beauty! Why does the trunk get scruffy at the base? 120 height was my estimate.

For this message the author adam.rosen has received Likes :
James Parton
adam.rosen

Has Liked: 0 times
Has Been Liked: 21 times
Print view this post

#2)  Re: Bartholmew's cobble

Postby Joe » Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:17 am

Lots of rare plants at the Cobble, such as "walking fern". And, you're right about the Rt. 7 valley from CT to Pittsfield as nice tree country- that's been my main turf for my pracitice of forestry for 38 years. I often visited the Cobble for pure pleasure while taking off my forester's hat. There's a nice network of trails there. One goes up to a hill top with a nice view all the way to Mt. Greylock, most of the hill side is still open pasture. I went up there once during deer shotgun season, thinking it would be safe since the property is posted against hunting, but alas, several hunters were there.
Joe
Joe

Has Liked: 0 times
Has Been Liked: 171 times
Print view this post

#3)  Re: Bartholmew's cobble

Postby greenent22 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:36 am

Thetulip is scruffy at the base because it's old.
greenent22

Has Liked: 52 times
Has Been Liked: 28 times
Print view this post

#4)  Re: Bartholmew's cobble

Postby Larry Tucei » Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:53 pm

Beautiful looking Tulips and Cottonwood two of my favorite species.  That Cottonwood is huge. Larry
Larry Tucei

Has Liked: 706 times
Has Been Liked: 591 times
Print view this post

#5)  Re: Bartholmew's cobble

Postby dbhguru » Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:49 am

Adam,

I've measured and photographed everyone of those trees. Gary Beluzo and I have all the Tuliptrees in that area in our database. There is an even more impressive Tuliptree in Bullard Woods than the one at the Cobble. Have you seen it?

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder and Executive Director
Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
dbhguru

Has Liked: 4 times
Has Been Liked: 1087 times
Print view this post

Return to Massachusetts