The Bullock Oaks

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

Larry Tucei

The Bullock Oaks

Post by Larry Tucei » Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:44 pm

ENTS, A close friend and co-worker brought me to his great Aunts old property on Monday the 24th to show me some Live Oaks growing there. The 17 acre secluded old homestead was very serene with 4 large Live Oaks dominating the yard and the 100 year old house. The two Live Oaks on the southeast side of the house were smaller, 18’ CBH. The other two more towards the back were much larger. The first, a large crowned tree with impressive limbs in all directions, The Monroe Bullock Oak measured CBH-20’ 7”, Height- 75’ and Spread- 120’ x 136’. This tree was very healthy showing little damage from past Hurricanes. The second a multi-trunked tree, The Vernice Bullock Oak measured CBH-24’ 2”, Height-63’ and Spread-120’x 126’. She had a lot more damage to limbs from past Hurricanes and without loss would have had a much greater spread. These 4 Oaks are in the 150-200 year old range and were most likely planted when the property was settled earlier. Urban sprawl is coming close, the property which is up for sale and will be developed soon. Hopefully whoever builds there will cherish and respect these beauties of yesteryear. Larry
Attachments
The Bullock Oaks 2.JPG
The Bullock Oaks
The Bullock Oaks
The Vernice Bullock Oak
The Vernice Bullock Oak
The Monroe Bullock Oak 2
The Monroe Bullock Oak 2
The Monroe Bullock Oak 1
The Monroe Bullock Oak 1

edfrank

Re: The Bullock Oaks

Post by edfrank » Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:08 pm

Larry,

Very nice trees. I am glad to see you still actively pursuing your Live Oak Project. I am wondering where this tree is located? You have not provided a city, county, or even state in your description.

Ed
"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky

Larry Tucei

Post by Larry Tucei » Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:03 pm

Ed, Opps. They are located in St Martin, Ms. at the end of Bullock Rd. I'll add them to the listing and post the update. Larry

Larry Tucei

Post by Larry Tucei » Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:20 pm

Ed, ENTS, The updated Live Oak listing now at 158 trees. The Monroe Bullock #137 and the Vernice Bullock # 63. I will never stop measuring Live Oaks they are my favorite tree. I have a report from Noxubee that is coming next with photos and some Tulips I measured for Bob in Tombigbee NF, in Winston Co., Ms. I didn't have my camera then but the Tulips were some of the largest I've done in Ms. Ed, I am starting to put together all the Live Oaks I've done on word with photos and will get them to you soon. Larry
Attachments
Live_Oak_Project.xlsx
Updated Live Oak Listing 2011
(22.46 KiB) Downloaded 98 times

James Parton

Post by James Parton » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:36 am

Awesome Larry, just simply awesome!
James E Parton
Ovate Course Graduate - Druid Student
Bardic Mentor
New Order of Druids

http://www.druidcircle.org/nod/index.ph ... Itemid=145

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:42 am

Okay Larry, fess up. How much did you pay the midget to stand by those really average size trees? And that toy model car looks pretty convincing.

Seriously though, I continue to be amazed at the dominance of live oak in the big girth contest. Do you think that you'll eventually reach a number like 300?

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

Larry Tucei

Post by Larry Tucei » Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:19 am

Bob, There are many more Live Oaks in several states that will make the listing 300+ would be a good estimate. Larry

Return to “Mississippi”