edfrank

Hamadryads

Post by edfrank » Sun Dec 12, 2010 6:53 pm

Hamadryads
Panmosaic.jpg
Panmosaic.jpg (66.23 KiB) Viewed 1241 times
Tile Mosaic, Pan & Hamadryad, from Pompeii

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hamadryads (Ἁμαδρυάδες) are Greek mythological beings that live in trees. They are a specific kind of dryad, which are a particular type of nymph. Hamadryads are born bonded to a specific tree. Some believe that hamadryads are the actual tree, while normal dryads are simply the entity, or spirit, of the tree. If the tree died, the hamadryad associated with it died as well. For that reason, dryads and the gods punished any mortals who harmed trees. The Deipnosophistae of Athenaeus lists eight Hamadryads, the daughters of Oxylus and Hamadryas:

* Karya (Walnut or Hazelnut)
* Balanos (Oak)
* Kraneia (Dogwood)
* Morea (Mulberry)
* Aigeiros (Black Poplar)
* Ptelea (Elm)
* Ampelos (Vines, especially Vitis)
* Syke (fig)

Their mother, Hamadryas, is immortalized in the name of both the genus that contains the Cracker butterfly and the northernmost monkey in Asia Minor, the Hamadryas baboon. The Cracker Butterfly is more arboreal than most butterflies, as it commonly camouflages itself on trees. It feeds not on nectar but on sap, rotting fruit, and dung. The Hamadryas baboon however is one of the least arboreal monkeys but it was the most common monkey in Hellenic lands.

Description above from the Wikipedia article Hamadryad, licensed under CC-BY-SA, full list of contributors here http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?tit ... on=history.
"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky

James Parton

Re: Hamadryads

Post by James Parton » Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:13 pm

Ed,

I had never heard of this type of dryad before. Thanks for enlightening me.
James E Parton
Ovate Course Graduate - Druid Student
Bardic Mentor
New Order of Druids

http://www.druidcircle.org/nod/index.ph ... Itemid=145

Return to “Classical Mythology”