Would anyone have interest if the eNTS magazine started up again?

A monthly magazine featuring posts made to the Native Tree Society BBS for that period.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

BeeEnvironment2020

Would anyone have interest if the eNTS magazine started up again?

Post by BeeEnvironment2020 » Wed Mar 31, 2021 12:22 pm

Hi Ents,

I was wondering that if the eNTS magazine started up again this year, would anyone be interesting in contributing short articles or even reading it???

I was thinking that if people are still interested in it, and if articles are contributed by users of the BBS, then I would be happy to help run it once again.

Anyhow, what do you think?

BeeE.

bbeduhn

Re: Would anyone have interest if the eNTS magazine started up again?

Post by bbeduhn » Thu Apr 01, 2021 2:05 pm

BeeE,

eNTS is mostly a summary of site reports with major projects popping up from time to time. Ed Frank always compiled it. He had some family things to take care of so he didn't have time to continue compiling it. There is certainly a desire for it to be published.

Brian

BeeEnvironment2020

Post by BeeEnvironment2020 » Fri Apr 02, 2021 5:30 pm

Brian,

Yeah, I saw some of the older publications. I wonder if members of the ENTS would like to contribute short articles they compose (about trees/forests/anything related really), and also recent site reports. If it is possible for a few members to submit a total of, say, 5-8 articles during a 4 month period, I think it would give the Magazine more of a "boost" than just a long list of site reports (which is fine, but does not have that "boost", as I said)

BeeE.

BeeEnvironment2020

Post by BeeEnvironment2020 » Sun Apr 04, 2021 10:16 am

Hi ents,
Here is a test magazine I created from some of the posts. I did not do all of them, because I did not want to get ahead of myself in case there were problems. What do you think? I appreciate any feedback on it.
Cover photo
Cover photo
BeeE.

NOTE: please ignore the page numbers, as they are wrong.

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:53 am

BeeE,

Your offer is extremely generous. The ENTS magazine was a very valuable contribution to the cause, and I hated to see it discontinued. I would be willing to contribute articles in its revival. I would say that publishing 3 or 4 times our year would be sufficient. Dr. Don Bragg was our champion for a long time. Then Ed Frank took it over. Their editions set a very high bar. However, going forward, a simple format would be entirely acceptable, consisting mainly of important posts. The more valuable format, though, would be articles written in say WORD that cover topic in a more scholarly way. That may be too complicated. Would you be able to accept WORD articles?

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

BeeEnvironment2020

Post by BeeEnvironment2020 » Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:15 am

Bob,

Thanks for your willingness to contribute articles 3-4 times a year. It definitely would help out when composing the magazine. I should definitely be able to manage running it 3 times a year, maybe 4 if my schoolwork lets up (Probably up until I get to college, that is)

Unfortunately, I was brought up using google Docs to compose any documents, and I don't believe I have ever used Microsoft Word. That is why I composed the test magazine with Google Docs in PDF form. I just checked online, and I think that Microsoft Word would require a monthly subscription to have access to it, unfortunately. I have word-pad on my computer, but it does not have many functions for formatting.

I can try to re-format my google docs document if you want. How is this? I changed the format of the doc. However, I deleted my posts about old photos of PA because it took up way too much space. What do you think?

Update: I just found out that I can download google docs into a microsoft word document. However, another problem is faced, as the word document gets improperly formatted as it gets converted (images get messed up, and paragraph indents change).

Regards,
BeeE.

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:46 am

BeeE,

No reason why Google Docs can't work for fairly simple formats. I've used Google Docs once or twice. I'll explore its use to see how I could employ it for an article.

We certainly don't want to negatively impact your school work. So, we can figure how to take you up on your generous offer without it turning into a time-consuming problem.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

BeeEnvironment2020

Post by BeeEnvironment2020 » Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:54 pm

Bob,

Sounds good. I was thinking that maybe the easiest way to submit your (or anyone's. Everyone, feel free to contribute articles about anything related to trees) article(s) is to maybe send it to me via email (edumailha @ Gmail.com)? I don't know how often you use images in articles, but I believe gmail allows photos to be copied into the emails.

BeeE

bbeduhn

Post by bbeduhn » Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:04 am

BeeE,

Welcome to the big time! I was about to extend an invitation to make the magazine on your own, but I thought that might be a bit much to expect from a new member, but new members often have the extra zest to do projects. This is quite an accomplishment! Kudos.

Brian

BeeEnvironment2020

Post by BeeEnvironment2020 » Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:18 pm

Hi Brian,

Thanks! I hope I would be of some service for the ENTS, even if for only a few years. I may be able to get a magazine out by the end of April, but probably it would make more sense to have one released for the next publication period, by the end of August.

Recently, I was thinking that maybe the best thing for future publications of the magazine is to include mainly the more "important" posts and topics, such as recent site reports and tree discussions. This would eliminate a few of the longer posts that would take up a few pages. Another thing I have to consider is to remove a few certain photographs from posts, as they tend to take up space and increase the file size. Finally, I was also thinking I should limit discussions to only about 5 recent posts.

For 3 magazine issues a year, the following timeline would be used:

Months 1-4 (January to end of April)
Months 5-8(Beginning of May to end of August)
Months 9-12 (Beginning of September to end of December)

So, what does anyone think of these "plans"?? Any feedback or advice is appreciated.

BeeE.

Return to “eNTS Magazine”