Dollarhide Hunting Club forest

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

Lucas

Post by Lucas » Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:12 am

Anyone heard of it? Has it been surveyed for big trees?

I was reading about it in Tom Kelly's book, Infirm Opinions, last night. Kelly writes turkey hunting books but talks about his 50 years as a timber cruiser\manager in Alabama as much. His books are full of info on forest history in the state.  More background on him and the book is here https://bit.ly/2RGgU7N.

I have included some of his comments in the https://photos.app.goo.gl/CLQ9pTiM26rY3Wq88 link. It seems like there is potential in there.

Lucas

Re: Dollarhide Hunting Club forest

Post by Lucas » Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:36 am

He was mainly concerned with pine and had some interesting history with it in Alabama.

Click on image to see its original size

Superior pine logs

15,000 sq feet\acre longleaf old growth

nice Pine

ElijahW

Post by ElijahW » Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:45 pm

Lucas,

I’ve heard of Colonel Kelly and the Dollarhide Club, but know very little about either. Part of the problem is that I’ve never been very interested in turkey hunting, I guess. After doing a little research online, the club land might be worth a visit, assuming one could get permission. Thanks for sharing,

Elijah

Lucas

Post by Lucas » Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:50 am

I searched Dollarhide but didn't find much. It is a very exclusive club as Kelly describes it. They likely would be interested in their trees, though. Lidar may show some details, too. It seems like a good spot as Kelly says bottomland timber has been trashed all over. I couldn't find any references to any old growth in Alabama.

I didn't notice it at the time of the first posts but you can read previews of the books. You get 50-60 of the leading pages or about several chapters worth.

The Dollarhide story is the Defensive Operations chapter. It provides much more context. I don't think it is a freebie. I tried to check this and I can't see his books on Google Play ebooks now unless I am logged into google. I downleoded the previews to my tablet and I don't know if that is a factor.

Return to “Alabama”