Tree-Measuring workshops for 2019

General discussions of measurement techniques and the results of testing of techniques and equipment.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

dbhguru

Tree-Measuring workshops for 2019

Post by dbhguru » Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:20 am

Ents,

After a sluggish period relative to AF-Cadre tree-measuring workshops, we're back in the swing. We'll hold a workshop at the University of Tennessee during June 13-14, and one at Virginia Tech on June 21st. I may try to set one up in New England for the fall. American Forests roll in the workshops is unclear these days although Rose Tilestron, the new coordinator, will attend the VA Tech workshop.

Past workshpss have been well attended and these two promise to be as well, although the meaning of 'well attended' is relative. We're dealing with a very specialized interest. We're still battling the contingent that continue to employ the stick method to measure tree height and imagine that it works on all kinds of tree shapes and in all kinds of conditions. The Internet allows the promulgation of these simple methods for public use. However, the workshops are intended for certifiers. No excuses there.

It will be interesting to see if we can push an advanced concept or two for measuring trees for championship status in 2019. Don and I haven't given up on either AF or the Cadre, but oh, oh, how close we've come. We've watched interest wax and wane, and that is all part of it, but I personally never expected to see major players with a history of critical contributions to tree-measuring throw in the towel. In most cases, I think this has happened largely because of AF's, sorry to say, wishy-washy performance and fading commitment to the program they spawned back in 1940. But enough grumbling, maybe the Phoenix will yet rise from the rubble. Besides, being retired, I can afford to stay engaged. Others who have to earn a living daily don't always have that luxury.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

bbeduhn

Re: Tree-Measuring workshops for 2019

Post by bbeduhn » Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:25 pm

Bob,
I'm close to UT. I might be available for the 14th. If only there were a large park with tall trees nearby.
Brian

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:32 pm

Brian

That would be great. Let’s stay in touch.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder and President

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:46 am

Ents,

If we succeed in holding at least three tree-measuring workshops in 2019 (two are already scheduled), I will hold some optimism for a slight revival of our NTS-AF tree-measuring mission. I've kept the Cadre website alive, although I don't hold out much hope for its long term survival. Then there is the tree-measuring database at Virginia Tech. It is essentially dormant. I'll have an opportunity to discuss its future when in Virginia this coming June 21st.

I'm open to ideas as to where NTS can go from here, tree-measuring mission wise. Have we pushed the envelope as far as we can? Have we reached the boundaries of our interests?

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder and President

Return to “Measurement and Dendromorphometry”