NY Rucker Height Index

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

ElijahW

Re: NY Rucker Height Index

Post by ElijahW » Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:47 pm

Erik,

As far as I know, the following represent species maximums: Black Birch, Tamarack, Butternut, White Spruce, and Balsam Fir. Hophornbeam, Jack Pine, and American Basswood are within a few feet, as well as probably a few others.

Elijah
"There is nothing in the world to equal the forest as nature made it. The finest formal forest, the most magnificent artificially grown woods, cannot compare with the grandeur of primeval woodland." Bob Marshall, Recreational Limitations to Silviculture in the Adirondacks

ElijahW

Post by ElijahW » Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:08 am

NTS,

In wrapping up the year's measuring work, I'm posting an up to date version of NY's maximum tree height list, by species. I've included three lists: one containing all species measured within the borders of NY State, one containing species native to the region in which the tree was measured (whether growing naturally or planted), and a third containing species growing outside their natural range. You may notice I've placed White Spruce (Picea glauca) on the exotic list, even though it's native to NY State. I did this because the measured tree was planted well south of its natural range; the tallest White Spruce growing within its natural range that I've found is 118'+.
All Species
All Species
2017 NY Max Height List All Species (Public).xlsx
(30.13 KiB) Downloaded 63 times
Natives
Natives
2017 NY Max Height List Native (Public).xlsx
(20.95 KiB) Downloaded 45 times
Exotics
Exotics
2017 NY Max Height List Exotic (Public).xlsx
(20.15 KiB) Downloaded 63 times
Enjoy the New Year,

Elijah
"There is nothing in the world to equal the forest as nature made it. The finest formal forest, the most magnificent artificially grown woods, cannot compare with the grandeur of primeval woodland." Bob Marshall, Recreational Limitations to Silviculture in the Adirondacks

ElijahW

Post by ElijahW » Mon Dec 31, 2018 5:23 pm

NTS,

I've attached the year-end compilation of NY's tallest accurately measured trees below. The first spreadsheet is sorted by height in descending order, and the second is sorted alphabetically by scientific name.
NY Max Height List 2018 (Public).xlsx
(36.44 KiB) Downloaded 58 times
NY Max Height List 2018 By Species (Public).xlsx
(35.79 KiB) Downloaded 50 times
Happy New Year, everyone!

Elijah

JHarkness

Post by JHarkness » Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:47 pm

Nice job Elijah! There are some neat trees in there that I wasn't aware of, the 122' tree of heaven sticks out, I've never encountered one that large, and as much as I despise the species due to it's invasive tendency here, I imagine there must be something truly wonderful about even an invasive species achieving a size that significant, also wonder what size tree of heaven attains in its native range, I had read that it tends to grow larger and taller as an introduced species than in its native range but I don't know if that was true. I saw you included my Carya tomentosa, I still don't feel so comfortable with it being listed as a state height record, something about it is bugging me, it is certainly not bitternut, pignut or red and all the evidence I could find points to mockernut but something doesn't sit right with me still. I don't know what the status is of hickories hybridizing, but if mockernut and bitternut, or mockernut and pignut, can hybridize then the possibility that this tree is a hybrid remains. I'll need to do a more thorough examination of the tree to be sure of it's identification, though mockernut is the most likely identification. As that is the case, I would like to ask politely that the tree not be included in any other lists until I have found more conclusive evidence of its identification. Thank you for adding it though and I apologize for any lack of clarity on its identification, I hope I can sort it out soon and determine that it is without a doubt C. tomentosa.

I also found the 83' amur corktree interesting as I likely used to have one that was taller, though not by much, alas the tree is now dead as it was the source of the invasive issue I was having with the species. I left the downed tree to become CWD and never touched the crown so it is completely intact, perhaps I should measure the downed trunk to see whether it was taller. Oh, and I saw your hobblebush at 9' tall, I believe Erik had an 11' specimen at Leolyn, didn't he?

Happy New Year,
Joshua
"Be not simply good; be good for something." Henry David Thoreau

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:18 pm

Elijah,

That's a splendid New Years Eve gift to NTS. One heck of a list. New York rules. Rob is finding more good stuff in the Dacks. 2019 will be better than 2018.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

ElijahW

Post by ElijahW » Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:22 am

Joshua,

I’ll remove your Mockernut from my master spreadsheet. I missed Erik’s Hobblebush, but I will fix that, as well. Part of the reason for sharing these lists is to weed out mistakes, so thank you.

Elijah

Erik Danielsen

Post by Erik Danielsen » Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:35 am

Elijah,

Thanks for posting. I always look forward to these list updates. The spread of species we have data for now is really something, even if a lot of them are one-off exotics in arboretums. Some of them are surprisingly large, like that Katsura tree!

It's especially exciting to see that we are now up to 149.7 for the state RHI10. Just 3 more tree-feet spread within the top 10 would put us at 150. We'd better hurry up before we lose all our tallest ash! I expect the tallest tulip, bitternut, and cottonwood in zoar will have each put on a little height this past year, hopefully I can get to them soon.

There is a 102.5' Nyssa sylvatica at Welwyn Preserve, Nassau County that can go on here, and I'd also like to withdraw that Salix nigra from Clove Lakes Park- I was just guessing at Salix ID back then. I'm lately on a floodplain kick and hungry to find some proper native Salix nigra, so maybe I'll find a good height soon, but in the meantime I'd love to see the list show whatever really has been found for the species here (and have you had any experiences IDing them vs. nonnatives? Looking for pointers). Glad to see you caught the Ulmus thomassi/pumila correction. The Acer negundo also seems to have fallen out of order.

Here's to 2019!

ElijahW

Post by ElijahW » Tue Jan 01, 2019 2:21 pm

Erik,

You're welcome. I enjoy keeping track of these super trees.

I made the changes in my master spreadsheet. Thanks for your help.

I think I found a single example of Black Willow on Howland's Island a few years ago, but it was wintertime, and I did not key it out. I'm also not sure if I can find it again, as it was a ways out in the swamp. Sorry I can't be a help there, but I'm also on the lookout for a good example of the species. I also need to get around to measuring some nice Rock Elms; I do know where those are.

Thanks again,

Elijah

ElijahW

Post by ElijahW » Mon Dec 30, 2019 6:00 pm

NTS,

As has become my habit, I'm posting a pared-down copy of the spreadsheet I keep of NY's tallest accurately (by Sine-Sine method) measured trees. One attachment is a ranking by height, the other alphabetically by scientific name. In addition to native species, this spreadsheet also includes non-native species growing in NY State as well as a few hybrids.

Have a safe and happy New Year!

Elijah
Max Height List 2019 (Public).xlsx
(42.52 KiB) Downloaded 57 times
Max Height List 2019 By Species (Public).xlsx
(41.93 KiB) Downloaded 48 times

Erik Danielsen

Post by Erik Danielsen » Tue Dec 31, 2019 9:55 am

Thanks as always for the updated list. Really enjoying all the shrubs, actually- I've been getting into many rich wetland sites with a lot of the same native shrubs in the last year, but usually without a rangefinder. I'll have to start bringing it along to give your central new york records some friendly competition!

Looking back to the numbers from last year, when the state RHI10 was at a tantalizing 149.7- we are now officially up to 151.5!

I've been remiss in not getting down to measure new growth on Zoar's rucker trees yet this season. Here's to continuing the index climb into 2020.

Return to “New York”