Durand Eastman Park, Rochester

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

ElijahW

Durand Eastman Park, Rochester

Post by ElijahW » Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:47 pm

NTS,

Durand-Eastman Park, on the south shore of Lake Ontario, is an excellent combination of native forest, arboretum, and open space. Like Highland Park to the south, Durand-Eastman features dozens of unusual exotic species in their mature forms. I’ve made a couple of visits here over the last year or so, and thought I’d share what I’ve found so far. I’ve barely touched the surface of what’s here, and I’m looking forward to future visits, by myself and Tom Howard. A good description of Durand-Eastman can be found here: https://www2.monroecounty.gov/parks-durandeastman.php.

Towards the bottom of the native tree list is a nugget for Bob.

Native Trees Measured

Tuliptree

143.4’
137.4’
136.8’ x 8.9’
130.2’ x 9.44’

Red Maple

127.3’ x 7.15 (new NY maximum)

Bitternut Hickory

125.6’ x 6.04’

Black Oak

125.6’ x 9.05’ (new NY maximum)

Northern Red Oak

124.3’ x 8.34’

American Beech

124.1’

Black Birch

117.1’ x 5.89’

Sugar Maple

115.3’

White Oak

115.0’ x 5.37’

Eastern Hemlock

113.4’

Rucker 10 Height Average: 123.1’

The Rucker average will certainly increase with more surveys, but probably not by more than a few feet. HWA is just starting to make an impact here, and I expect the forest will look much different soon, as hemlock is a significant canopy component on the slopes. The tallest trees are concentrated in a small area in the bottom of two adjacent ravines, and I have at least a couple more similar ravines yet to explore.

Exotic Trees Measured

Ivy-leaved Maple Acer cissifolium

62.1’ Multiple trunks

Cappadocian Maple Acer cappadocicum

83.8’ x 7.06’

Siberian Elm Ulmus pumila

98.2’ x 12.02’

European Linden Tilia x europaea

72’ x 10.93’

Raisin Tree Hovenia dulcis

92.6’ x 5.04’

Chinese Toon Toona sinensis

94.1’ x 5.32’

Ogeechee Tupelo Nyssa ogeche

55.8’ Multiple trunks

Elijah
"There is nothing in the world to equal the forest as nature made it. The finest formal forest, the most magnificent artificially grown woods, cannot compare with the grandeur of primeval woodland." Bob Marshall, Recreational Limitations to Silviculture in the Adirondacks

Erik Danielsen

Re: Durand Eastman Park, Rochester

Post by Erik Danielsen » Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:27 am

That is quite a concentration of state maximums for a few small ravines! Would you regard these as especially vigorous second-growth, or are parts of this old growth?

It's interesting that 110'+ (and 115'+) black birch are turning up all over the state, in a variety of different climates and habitats. That band of sites on western long island might not be so entirely unique in the long run. I wonder if a combination of a canopy release, with the old-growth soil ecology largely retained, plus 120-150 years of regrowth on the right sites that helps produce most of them. I have not seen truly old-growth black birch in the same height class.

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:56 pm

Elijah, Erik,

Whew! I've finally gotten my eyeballs back into their sockets. 117! NY black birches rule. Absolutely rule. It makes sense, though, when you think of it. NY has a very wide range of topography, geology, climate, and forest history. Logically, NY's tree treasures should surpass those of the small New England states to the east, and it was only a matter of time until the truth came out. More specifically, it required the appearance of Elijah Whitcomb, Erik Danielsen, Tom Howard, Howard Stoner, Fred Breglia, Jess Riddle, with some support from Dale Luthringer from PA and Jared Lockwood and yours truly from MA. We three out-of-staters salute you, our betters. We three petition to be accepted as honorary New Yorkers.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

ElijahW

Post by ElijahW » Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:26 pm

Erik, Bob,

Thanks. The park was established in 1919, I believe, and the forested ravines certainly predate that. My guess is that the oldest trees probably approach 250 years, and most of these are oaks. The Birch is likely in the age range you mentioned, Erik. It basically sits at the bottom of a hole and is competing with Tulips and Red oaks. Black Birch is very common near the lake, and seems to grow very well here.

Bob, these days, I prefer to cling to my Vermont roots rather than be known as a New Yorker, but I guess New Yorker is what I am. I see no reason why you shouldn’t be counted as welcome among us, and we would be honored to have you.

Elijah
"There is nothing in the world to equal the forest as nature made it. The finest formal forest, the most magnificent artificially grown woods, cannot compare with the grandeur of primeval woodland." Bob Marshall, Recreational Limitations to Silviculture in the Adirondacks

Larry Tucei

Post by Larry Tucei » Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:19 pm

Elijah- Your are a measuring machine. Perhaps in the future we could all have a rendezvous and do some measuring together. Congrats on all your finds! Larry

ElijahW

Post by ElijahW » Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:31 pm

Thanks, Larry. I’d like that. If I had time off this winter I’d definitely be headed south, but right now I don’t.

Do you have any experience with the Ogeechee Tupelo? It looked similar to the Black gum, (or Tupelo) we have up here, but the tree I saw didn’t have any leaves or fruit. Stay warm,

Elijah

ElijahW

Post by ElijahW » Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:04 pm

NTS,

Some additional measurements from Durand Eastman:

*Denotes NY height champion

Rocky Mountain Douglas Fir Pseudotsuga menziesii var. glauca

126.0’ x 6.35’*
123.5’ x 6.5’

Katsura Tree Cercidiphyllum japonicum

121.0’ x 5.57’*

White Fir Abies concolor

113.0’ x 8.29’*

Western Red Cedar Thuja plicata

103.5’*
91.8’ x 10.76’

Mountain Silverbell Halesia tetraptera var. monticola

100.4’ x 8.65’ (circumference measured at 3.5’ due to low branching)*

White Basswood Tilia americana var. heterophylla

90.1’ x 10.22’*

Common Persimmon Diospyros virginiana

85.1’*

Kobus Magnolia Magnolia kobus

70.4’ x 6.4’*

Sourwood Oxydendrum arboreum

54.8’

Chinese Fringe Tree Chionanthus retusus

50.8’* (clump)

Korean Evodia Tetradium daniellii

50.8’* (clump)

Fragrant Snow Bell Styrax obassia

45.0’ x 1.95’*

I’m not sure if the scientific name is correct for the Silverbell; it’s hard to believe that a variety (monticola) could be so much larger than the species it’s derived from. I remember Will Blozan writing something about this a while back, but didn’t find it in the archives. A couple of photos of the Silverbell:
Silverbell bark
Silverbell bark
Seed capsule?
Seed capsule?
More to come.

Elijah

Erik Danielsen

Post by Erik Danielsen » Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:42 pm

Really awesome to see those tall Douglas Firs. Pretty solid on that Western Redcedar too. For some reason I just really want to know what height potential different western species ultimately have growing over here in the east, with an underlying curiosity about just why it is that they grow so differently in different places.

Larry Tucei

Post by Larry Tucei » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:58 am

Elijah- I did not know of the Ogeechee Tupelo I had to look it up. Wiki shows it only growing in a small region of northwest Florida. Larry

ElijahW

Post by ElijahW » Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:30 pm

Larry,

I hadn’t heard of the Tupelo before this either. Black gum is tolerant of our cold winter temperatures up here, and the Ogeechee seems to have at least some tolerance, as well.

Erik,

Before finding these Douglas Firs, I only knew of two 120’+ trees, both in Letchworth’s plantations, one of which was in poor health. This Durand-Eastman hillside has at least four 120’+ trees. All of these specimens are around 100 years old, +/-5 years. I assume both Douglas Fir and Western Red Cedar get larger south of us in NY, but maybe not. George? Dale? Turner? Will? Brian?

The tallest Norway Spruce I’ve found at Morgan Hill should reach the 140’ (at 80-85 years old) mark this growing season, and the tallest we know of currently in the US is located in MA, so the northeast is capable of producing tall exotic conifers. What makes a tall specimen tree? Good genetics, probably, from a good seed source, along with rich soil and plenty of moisture, I guess, but what else?

Elijah

Return to “New York”