Hello from NW Connecticut

A forum for new members to introduce themselves to the other members of ENTS. New users and guests can ask questions about ENTS and the ENTS BBS here.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

#1)  Hello from NW Connecticut

Postby halifax » Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:40 pm

Hi Friends,

I'm Harry White, a forest ecologist working in New England for over 20 years. I've been an ENTS lurker for >15 years. My only touchpoint with ENTS was when I hosted Bob L. at a land trust meeting in southern Litchfield County about 10 years ago.

I work in the land trust world with over 20,000 acres conserved and I have been the primary agent for the establishment of over two thousand acres of forever-natively wild conservation easements on private lands primarily in the southern Berkshires. I also work with Northeast Wilderness Trust as their Consulting Ecologist, working from the ADKs to Maine Woods on fairly big-block forever-natively wild projects. I am a friend of trees both young and old and a foe of loggers and foresters. My life's work is dedicated to protecting the old-growth systems of the future. I won't be around to see that outcome of my work but that's OK by me.

I am willing to share my knowledge with anyone working on permanent land preservation projects that have no reserved forestry rights, in all realms from outreach with potential land donors to science and stewardship to drafting easements to fundraising. That's my gift back to ENTS/NTS for all you've given me.

I deeply appreciate ENTS/NTS and the discussions and publications, all of which have greatly influenced me and my work for many, many years.

Kind regards,
Harry
halifax

Has Liked: 0 times
Has Been Liked: 0 times
Print view this post

#2)  Re: Hello from NW Connecticut

Postby ElijahW » Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:07 pm

Harry,

Welcome to the group.  I'm optimistic about the future health of forests in the Northeast and the potential return in many locations of old growth type landscapes.  Of course right now we're facing challenges in the form of invasive plants, disease, development, and pollution, but I think overall our forests are improving.  I appreciate the efforts of anyone working towards those ends.

Elijah
"There is nothing in the world to equal the forest as nature made it. The finest formal forest, the most magnificent artificially grown woods, cannot compare with the grandeur of primeval woodland." Bob Marshall, Recreational Limitations to Silviculture in the Adirondacks
ElijahW

Has Liked: 209 times
Has Been Liked: 252 times
Print view this post

#3)  Re: Hello from NW Connecticut

Postby halifax » Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:56 am

Hi Elijah,
Thanks for the note. I'm optimistic, too, even though pests like the adelgid are now knocking at the door of the ADKs. I spend an immense amount of time managing invasive battles, and there always seems to be another new one showing up. But we must fight on. The biggest challenge is fundraising for restoration.
Kind regards,
Harry
halifax

Has Liked: 0 times
Has Been Liked: 0 times
Print view this post

Return to Post Here First - Introduce Yourself