Link to Virginia Tech Dendrology Lab

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

#61)  Re: Link to Virginia Tech Dendrology Lab

Postby dbhguru » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:02 am

Ents,

Larry Tucei's loblolly pine data are nearly ready to be sent to VA Tech. Measurements in the import file include only those made by members who have signed on to our partnership. John won't get to Larry's second batch for maybe a week or two, but then it should show up.

The next major conversion will be Elijah's data. Eventually we'll end up with several thousand tree measurement records.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder and Executive Director
Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest

For this message the author dbhguru has received Likes :
Larry Tucei
dbhguru

Has Liked: 4 times
Has Been Liked: 1086 times
Print view this post

#62)  Re: Link to Virginia Tech Dendrology Lab

Postby Erik Danielsen » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:49 am

That's excellent, very glad this is moving forward as it is. I'm getting all my records put together in fits and spurts- this is the busy season at my day job but hopefully I'll have a more substantial chunk of data to submit in the near future.
Erik Danielsen

Has Liked: 244 times
Has Been Liked: 306 times
Print view this post

#63)  Re: Link to Virginia Tech Dendrology Lab

Postby dbhguru » Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:22 pm

Ents,

Attached is a download of the trees that are currently in our new SuperlativeNativeTrees Database. The entire database, or portions thereof, can be exported to CSV file. It can then be imported into Excel and saved as an Excel file in CSV format. That is what the attachment is.

I've completed Larry's loblolly pine export file and sent it to John. It will likely be a week or two before he can import it.

Next is working on  Elijah's dataset. It is in good shape so final field conversions will be minimal. For example, height is a pure numeric field. The trailing feet indication must be stripped off. No big deal. Lats and longs are in pure decimal degrees. Again, no big deal. Onward and upward.

Bob
Attachments
SuperlativeNativeTreesDatabaseDownload.csv
(66.1 KiB) Downloaded 28 times
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder and President
dbhguru

Print view this post

#64)  Re: Link to Virginia Tech Dendrology Lab

Postby Larry Tucei » Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:18 pm

Hi Bob-  The Loblolly Listing has been imported to VT site I just looked at it. Thanks to you and John for all your hard work. It's great to see it all coming together.  Larry
Larry Tucei

Has Liked: 693 times
Has Been Liked: 586 times
Print view this post

#65)  Re: Link to Virginia Tech Dendrology Lab

Postby dbhguru » Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:47 pm

Larry,

Larry, I have one other spreadsheet from you. I'll get to it in due course.

All,

I just sent John Peterson import files for Elijah's and Dale's data. Before anyone sends me another Excel spreadsheet for conversion, let me provide better guidance and some conversion routines for individual fields to get them into the right final format. If you can use the routines, please do so, but if their confusing, don't worry. Just send the data as is. I'll begin sending conversion guidance and routines in the next few days.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder and President
dbhguru

Print view this post

#66)  Re: Link to Virginia Tech Dendrology Lab

Postby dbhguru » Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:30 pm

Ents,

This is the first of a series of planned posts to help with conversions to get data into the proper format for the Superlative Native Tree Database. You can always elect to send me your data for conversion, but if you want to learn how to do it on your own, hopefully, the series of posts will help.

These posts may prove more than most of you need, but going from a source that is often text-based to numeric format for the MYSQL VA Tech database can be a real pain, especially where you already have your data in a list form that is not strictly numeric and you want to import it into an SQL database looking for numeric formats. Here is an example, it is not uncommon for people to enter heights into a column in a format such as 120.5' or 120.5 ft. The destination is a field that expects a pure number as opposed to a string of characters (text) that includes a numeric piece of information. If the information is already in Excel, we have one of two courses: (1) edit the 120.5' or 120.5 ft to just be 120.5 or convert the the 120.5' or 120.5 ft to 120.5 by some conversion method that can be applied to all cells in the column with the text-based heights. The attachment (to come) will provide a solution for Excel columns with text-based entries that start as numbers and end with a character such as ' or " that is non-numeric, or possible two characters such as Ft or In. One formula won't suffice, as you'll see in the upcoming attachment.

I'll be providing solutions for converting lat and long coordinates to all decimal formats, and other good stuff. It is pretty basic to those who write macros in Excel, but can look like gibberish to others. These solutions only make sense where you already have lots of data in a list or table format, but it is not in an acceptable form to our database. Also, I don't always think of the most compact solution for a particular problem. Please feel free to propose Excel formulas that do the job more efficiently.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder and President
dbhguru

Print view this post

#67)  Re: Link to Virginia Tech Dendrology Lab

Postby dbhguru » Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:33 am

Ents,

We now have 1789 records in our NTS-Cadre-VA Tech Dendrology database. Imports have been completed for Larry, Dale, and Elijah's data. Presently, Jared Lockwood and I are entering records almost on a daily basis, but we feel kind of lonesome. We don't want to be the only ones regularly entering records. We look forward to others joining us.

Yesterday, Jared and Ray visited Bryant Woods and Jared re-measured the Bryant black cherry and confirmed the state champion hop hornbeam. I'll defer to Jared to report the details with some great photos. The Massachusetts A-Team is alive and well.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder and President

Erik Danielsen
dbhguru

Print view this post

#68)  Re: Link to Virginia Tech Dendrology Lab

Postby dbhguru » Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:34 am

Ents,

We now have 1794 trees in the database. Yesterday, Jared Lockwood measured a black birch in Hudson, MA to 107.5 feet. He entered the tree last evening into the database. This is the easiest way to add trees important to us, i.e. one tree at a time. However, getting existing data into the database where we're talking maybe hundreds of records realistically must be done through importing. Although, it can be a lot of work to get list-oriented and spreadsheet data into the common format, I promised that I would make myself available to reformat data sent to me in list form or in spreadsheets. I will continue to honor that promise.

Looking to the future, we can have a heck of a database if we all pitch in. It can help to educate a wider range of the public on what is out there in the way of species superlatives. Our options include reporting our measurements here on the BBS and in other Internet forums and/or entered them into one or more databases. I acknowledge that our BBS and other forums are fun, but they don't carry much standing within the academic and professional communities. I believe that the VA Tech Dendrology database is different. I do think it has or can have considerable academic standing.

There have been around 27 of you who indicated a willingness to make use of the VA Tech database. I've posted some instructions on its use, but am willing to go further if there is a need. Just let me know.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder and President
dbhguru

Print view this post

#69)  Re: Link to Virginia Tech Dendrology Lab

Postby dbhguru » Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:44 am

Ents,

The Superlative Native Trees Database now has 2236 records. John Eichholz and I met yesterday afternoon, and John will be adding records for Kenneth M. Dubuque State Forest. So, we're moving forward.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder and President

Larry Tucei
dbhguru

Print view this post

#70)  Re: Link to Virginia Tech Dendrology Lab

Postby Matt Markworth » Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:21 pm

Bob,

I entered my first tree last night. Super easy to do and I really like all the fields. It's very convenient how there is a checkbox to hide the location, and a field to indicate how many trunks. Big kudos to John Peterson, Don, you, and anyone else involved!

Matt

For this message the author Matt Markworth has received Likes :
tsharp
Matt Markworth

Has Liked: 1068 times
Has Been Liked: 825 times
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Links to Other Tree Groups