National Cadre Grows

General discussions of measurement techniques and the results of testing of techniques and equipment.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

dbhguru

National Cadre Grows

Post by dbhguru » Sun Jun 28, 2015 10:16 am

NTS

The American Forests Durango CO workshop is now history. By any measure, it was a rousing success. We will gain 6 or 7 new Cadre members, several of whom promise to be absolutely outstanding. We cemented our working relationship with Mountain Studies Institute and developed an association with Colorado State Forest Service. The San Juan National Forest gave us conference space. Laser Tech supported the workshop with a TruPulse 360 to donate, which we did. The 360 went to Danial Allen, Utah Community Forester, who will remeasure the national champion Colorado Blue.

National Cadre Members will get identification cards. Hopefully, T-shirts will be in our future.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

Transcendaniel

Re: National Cadre Grows

Post by Transcendaniel » Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:49 am

Bob,
indeed I will be re-measuring the Big-Blue in Utah.
In fact, that will be taking place next Thursday the 13th, assuming I can find it:)
I will let you (*all y'all) know when the results are in.

In the meantime, I have a few questions:
Is there a recommended tripod for use with the Truepulse 360?
Do I need to do or fill out anything in order to officially become a National Cadre member?
(you don't have humiliating or primeval initiation rituals... do you?)

Let me know, thanks for everything you do for our 'tribe'...

Larry Tucei

Post by Larry Tucei » Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:36 am

Daniel- Looking forward to your post on the Utah Champ. Larry

Don

Post by Don » Tue Aug 04, 2015 5:42 pm

Daniel-
It's good to hear from you, all the way out there in Utah, and glad you're about to re-measure the "Big Blue" there!
One of the items you'll want to include is a good directions, a location description (hopefully including a GPS reading while there, or at the least, 'photo-interpreted' location in GoogleEarth including coordinates), 4 quadrant-ed photos of the base, at least one of the top with tiptop delineated, and at least one full frontal with a reference object (yardstick, ruler, object of known and recorded dimension.
While we're still working on providing you with official Cadre forms, I'll attach a temporary to provide you with a data record form that you may use in the interim. Do your best to fill in all blanks (some are to be checked, some are to be filled in with measurements and/or answers. Let us know if we haven't been clear...I'm afraid that you have the honor of being our guinea pig!
Revised CADRE DATA DOCUMENTATION DRB Red.docx
Draft Nat'l Cadre Tree Measurement Record
(156.26 KiB) Downloaded 66 times
Be sure to fully study the American Forests Nomination webpage, to get a sense of what is expected of 2015 nominations/re-measures, with respect to tree measurements, photo requirements, locational details, etc.

While I've just been impaneled for jury duty, I'll try to be available for any questions you may have. You may also wish to contact Bob Leverett, Will Blozan, Don Bragg should I not be available in a timely fashion.
Again, thanks for "being there for us", you're a long way from most of the rest of us!
-Don
907-868-2922
Transcendaniel wrote:Bob,
indeed I will be re-measuring the Big-Blue in Utah.
In fact, that will be taking place next Thursday the 13th, assuming I can find it:)
I will let you (*all y'all) know when the results are in.

In the meantime, I have a few questions:
Is there a recommended tripod for use with the Truepulse 360?
Do I need to do or fill out anything in order to officially become a National Cadre member?
(you don't have humiliating or primeval initiation rituals... do you?)

Let me know, thanks for everything you do for our 'tribe'...
Don Bertolette - President/Moderator, WNTS BBS
Restoration Forester (Retired)
Science Center
Grand Canyon National Park

BJCP Apprentice Beer Judge

View my Alaska Big Tree List Webpage at:
http://www.akbigtreelist.org

Return to “Measurement and Dendromorphometry”