Dunn Woods, University of Indiana, Bloomington

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

johnofthetrees

Dunn Woods, University of Indiana, Bloomington

Post by johnofthetrees » Thu Jun 10, 2010 11:02 pm

ENTS:

On the campus of the University of Indiana in Bloomington, where I am attending a conference of food coops, there are many nicely wooded areas between the buildings, an arboretum, and several wild, forested areas. Of the latter, Dunn Woods, about 10 acres in extent, contains the tallest trees I found. Another area, the so called “wet forest” remnant, contains many of the same species, but perhaps because of its wetness and limited size, does not match the Dunn Woods area.

The Dunn Woods consists almost entirely of hardwood species, with tuliptree, sugar maple, white oak and beech being the most prevalent. The soil overlays a continuous limestone bedrock, and the herb layer is quite thick. Many trees reach large size here. The campus was established in the mid 1800's, and as the Dunn family was prominent at the time, it seems likely that the forest was either part of a grant by the Dunn family, or perhaps established in their name due to their support. I spent a few hours today in the woods, and was able to complete an RI10 Rucker index, and in fact found 11 species that exceeded 100'. I may be able to add to this report if I get time to look around more. Here is a list of what I found:
dunn woods 20100610.JPG
dunn woods 20100610.JPG (31.38 KiB) Viewed 1608 times
Other species found include basswood, pignut hickory, walnut, sweetgum and eastern hemlock. I also measured an impressive Ginko tree on the lawn, 79.6'h x 13.4'c. I did not have a camera, so I have no pictures to attach.

John

edfrank

Re: Dunn Woods, University of Indiana, Bloomington

Post by edfrank » Thu Jun 10, 2010 11:23 pm

John,

Excellent post. The image of the data table is really the way to go to show this information.

Here is some more data on Dunn Woods:
dunn woods.JPG
dunn woods.JPG (80.26 KiB) Viewed 1605 times
Dunn's Woods
From Bloomingpedia http://www.bloomingpedia.org/wiki/Dunn's_Woods
Dunn-woods-20080906-1.jpg
Several brick paths run through the woodsOverview. Picture inside Dunn's Woods on the southern most east-west path. Taken by Mark Krenz and Adela Krenz on September 6th, 2008
Dunn's woods are the woods in the middle of the Old Crescent on the Indiana University campus in Bloomington. The Kirkwood Observatory is in the western edge of the woods and it is bounded by; Lindley Hall, Maxwell Hall, Bryan Hall, Kirkwood Hall, Owen Hall, Swain Hall, and the School of Law.
History
Dunn's woods was originally the 20 acre plot purchased from Moses Fell Dunn in 1883 for the "new" campus. This was when IU was located at Seminary Square. What we now know as Dunn's Woods is what's left of the original 20 acre plot, after the Old Crescent was built. All of the buildings in the Old Crescent lay on that original tract of land. In the period when both campuses were still running, people usually called the new one the Dunn's Woods campus.
Dunn-woods-20080906-2.jpg
From Lindley HallThese woods are not to be confused with Dunn Meadow that is just north of the IMU, Student Building and Franklin Hall. Picture of the eastern edge of Dunn's Woods, from the steps of Lindley Hall. Taken by Mark Krenz and Adela Krenz on September 6th, 2008.
"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky

James Parton

Post by James Parton » Thu Jun 10, 2010 11:56 pm

John,

Nice Ginkgo. Not as tall as the ones I recently measured at CSNHS on Tuesday but larger in girth.

James
James E Parton
Ovate Course Graduate - Druid Student
Bardic Mentor
New Order of Druids

http://www.druidcircle.org/nod/index.ph ... Itemid=145

johnofthetrees

Post by johnofthetrees » Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:34 am

Ed,

Yes, I have found the "image" format for posting tree data to be much nicer -- something about text formats always messes up the alignment. Thanks for finding the campus map, too.

John

Return to “Indiana”