The Senator

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

aniftychic

The Senator

Post by aniftychic » Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:02 am

I took my boys to Wekiva Springs yesterday and stopped by the Big Tree Park. If you ever get a chance to visit Central Florida there is a 3,500 year old bald cypress tree there called the Senator. Indian used to use this as a landmark.

James Parton

Re: The Senator

Post by James Parton » Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:12 am

Aniftychic,

I have always wanted to visit the Senator. It is among the largest volume trees in the east.

James
James E Parton
Ovate Course Graduate - Druid Student
Bardic Mentor
New Order of Druids

http://www.druidcircle.org/nod/index.ph ... Itemid=145

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:30 am

Aniftychic,

There are Ents who have visited and studied that astounding tree. If you go to the ENTS website (www.nativetreesociety.org), click on Historic Trees, scan down to find the entry on the Senator Cypress. One of the advantages to being part of ENTS is that you are in the company of experts who often represent the most reliable sources of information on tree dimensions and sometimes ages. Please feel free to ask questions.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

aniftychic

Post by aniftychic » Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:38 am

Thank you for the information. I love this tree my dad use to take me here when I was a kid. I would love to start measuring trees around me. I read how on the ENTS website how to do it I just need the right tools. I was going to school for my Biology degree when my 2nd son came along and had to take a break. Its to hard trying to work, raise kids, and go to school. I have about a year left of schooling hopefully I will finish it soon. So does the ENTS think that the Senator is really that old?

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:52 am

Pretty darned old, but I'll let some more knowledgeable folks answer the question.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

Return to “Florida”