Nalini Nadkarni explores canopy worlds

Discussion of a general nature about tree climbing, humor, and other items of interest.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

PAwildernessadvocate

Nalini Nadkarni explores canopy worlds

Post by PAwildernessadvocate » Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:02 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rN7VcY1f-1Q

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3wMBOP-Z3c
"There is no better way to save biodiversity than by preserving habitat, and no better habitat, species for species, than wilderness." --Edward O. Wilson

edfrank

Nalini Nadkarni

Post by edfrank » Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:20 pm

Nalini Nadkarni is the author of Rainforests, with J. Johnson, Monteverde: The Ecology and Conservation of a Tropical Cloud Forest, with N.T. Wheelwright, and Forest Canopies, with M.L. Lowman. She teaches in the Environmental Studies Program at The Evergreen State College and is President of the International Canopy Network. Her work has been featured in magazines such as Natural History, Glamour, and National Geographic and she has appeared in numerous television documentaries. In 2002, she received a Guggenheim Fellowship to better extend her work to the public.
nadkarni.jpg
nadkarni.jpg (22.41 KiB) Viewed 1653 times
Between Earth and Sky: Our Intimate Connections to Trees
by Nalini Nadkarni
World-renowned canopy biologist Nalini Nadkarni has climbed trees on four continents with scientists, students, artists, clergymen, musicians, activists, loggers, legislators, and Inuits, gathering diverse perspectives. In Between Earth and Sky, a rich tapestry of personal stories, information, art, and photography, she becomes our captivating guide to the leafy wilderness above our heads. Through her luminous narrative, we embark on a multifaceted exploration of trees that illuminates the profound connections we have with them, the dazzling array of goods and services they provide, and the powerful lessons they hold for us. Nadkarni describes trees' intricate root systems, their highly evolved and still not completely understood canopies, their role in commerce and medicine, their existence in city centers and in extreme habitats of mountaintops and deserts, and their important place in folklore and the arts. She explains tree fundamentals and considers the symbolic role they have assumed in culture and religion. In a book that reawakens our sense of wonder at the fascinating world of trees, we ultimately find entry to the entire natural world and rediscover our own place in it.
Arboreality - Tree Blogging
Greetings and welcome to Arboreality, home of the tree blog. Arboreality is a blog about trees, forests, and wood, and everything in between. Join me, Jade Blackwater, to enjoy some of my day-to-day arboreal encounters.

Hidden Among the Trees – The Festival of the Trees 39
Tuesday, September 01, 2009
Welcome to Hidden Among the Trees, the 39th issue of The Festival of the Trees blog carnival. The Festival of the Trees is a periodic revelation of our findings and imaginings from trees, forests, gardens, backyards, orchards, and oases located in different parts of the world. Our purposes are connection, celebration, a sharing of knowledge.

This month I have invited people to seek out what is hidden (or lurking) among the trees, and share a glimpse of a secret with us. By inviting others to reveal a secret, a discovery, or a dream, it is my hope that we can illuminate hidden (or perhaps, merely forgotten) connections between each other and our world.

Conserving the Canopy Video on TED
http://www.ted.com/index.php/talks/nali ... anopy.html
A unique ecosystem of plants, birds and monkeys thrives in the treetops of the rainforest. Nalini Nadkarni explores these canopy worlds -- and shares her findings with the world below, through dance, art and bold partnerships.
nadkarni1.jpg
nadkarni1.jpg (18.17 KiB) Viewed 1653 times
"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky

dbhguru

Re: Nalini Nadkarni

Post by dbhguru » Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:15 pm

Ed,

What an inspiring lady. It is through advanced spirits like her that I retain a small measure of hope that our species is worth saving.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

edfrank

Re: Nalini Nadkarni

Post by edfrank » Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:38 pm

Bob,

I accidentally forgot to psot the link to her video:

Conserving the Canopy

http://www.ted.com/index.php/talks/nali ... anopy.html

It is not a Google, Youtube, or Vimeo video so I can just post this link instead of embedding the video clip. It is fantastic and well worth taking the time to watch.

"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky

Return to “General Tree Climbing Discussions”