Most Powerful Forestry Laser Ever ! (Built From OEM Parts)

General discussions of measurement techniques and the results of testing of techniques and equipment.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

M.W.Taylor
Site Admin

Re: The Most Powerful Forestry Laser Ever ! Made From OEM P

Post by M.W.Taylor » Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:18 am

I like that name Mario. What about the Hyperion series ?

I've been testing the "thing" more today and it is insanely accurate !

I get SD at a 700 foot away wispy tree top with virtually the same distance over and over. < 1cm variance. on 10 measurements. The inclinometer reads directly to .01 but with averaging I can get probably greater than 1/100 accuracy.

Hopefully I can give one of you guys a demo soon on this new system. I am planning to show it to John Montague this Tuesday. We'll see what he has to say about it on ENTS.

Michael ..

Rather than just "thing" maybe come up with a catchy name for it. You said it's ugly and accurate ... so right away "The Death Star" of Star Wars came to mind. But maybe something more positive sounding.

Accu-Pulse ?

...[/quote]

dbhguru

Re: Most Powerful Forestry Laser Ever ! (Built From OEM Part

Post by dbhguru » Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:49 am

Michael,

I was reviewing the feature of the new, yet to be named, tree measuring unit and found my self repeatedly saying HOLY S!@#. It is literally mind-boggling. Any survey formulas that I have developed are absolutely yours to use. I'd be honored for you to use them, and I stand ready to help you test the instrument, if I can be of service. If you decide to custom make these units and sell them, what kind of a price might you charge? I can well see myself buying one.

By the way, when deciding on a name, how about an Egyptian/Greek deity like Thoth.
The Egyptians credited him as the author of all works of science, religion, philosophy, and magic.[32] The Greeks further declared him the inventor of astronomy, astrology, the science of numbers, mathematics, geometry, land surveying, medicine, botany, theology, civilized government, the alphabet, reading, writing, and oratory. They further claimed he was the true author of every work of every branch of knowledge, human and divine.[27]
I can see it now. I'm holding one of your instruments and someone asks me what it is called and I get a far away, mystical look, thrust my arm upward with instrument in hand, thundering out THOTH! Uh, hmmm, this coffee is way too strong.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

Larry Tucei

Post by Larry Tucei » Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:33 am

Michael- Wow what an awesome instrument!!! Larry

Lucas

Post by Lucas » Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:39 am

dbhguru wrote:Lucas,

I expect that you are correct. The high tech end has no foreseeable limits. Meanwhile we still must deal with tree measuring with sticks held up to mask the forms of trees at distances. Kind of funny, isn't it. However, this soup-to-nuts venue keeps lots of folks involved, which is as it should be.
Bob
http://www.treestandscale.com/

Funny you should mention that, since I just saw the above in an ad on the weekend. I didn't know about range sticks.
We travel the Milky way together, trees and men. - John Muir

M.W.Taylor
Site Admin

Post by M.W.Taylor » Sat Oct 04, 2014 12:53 am

scolburn wrote:That's quite a device you've built there, Michael! What a powerful measurement system. It never ceases to amaze me what people can do with our sensors. Keep on pushing the limits!
Steve Colburn
LaserTech

Steve,

I am able to hit tops out to 3,500 feet in high accuracy mode. This would indicate to me the S200 performance exceeds the specifications sheet in the manual. I am now working on an application where you use your droid or Iphone with the laserbox instead of a larger tablet. You just download the application to communicate with the box and it becomes your new working interface. Detach from the box and it becomes a wireless control panel. A wireless video feed will allow control and targeting remotely. This smartphone type interface concept has many practical uses and advantages beyond a traditional LCD display.

Michael Taylor

http://www.landmarktrees.net

M.W.Taylor
Site Admin

Post by M.W.Taylor » Sat Oct 04, 2014 12:57 am

Bob, how far away can you hit a tree top with the TrupulseX ?

I expect that you are correct. The high tech end has no foreseeable limits. Meanwhile we still must deal with tree measuring with sticks held up to mask the forms of trees at distances. Kind of funny, isn't it. However, this soup-to-nuts venue keeps lots of folks involved, which is as it should be.

As for me, I'm super pleased with the LTI TruPulse 200X. It has met every test I have devised and passed with flying colors. I can shoot through narrow holes in the canopy using the gate function. Its two-shot missing line routine implements the sine function for tree height. It gives us the older tangent-based tree height routine. We can make direct comparisons of the methods to see what a tape and clinometer user would likely report as a tree's height.

Bob[/quote]

M.W.Taylor
Site Admin

Post by M.W.Taylor » Sat Oct 04, 2014 12:58 am

scolburn wrote:That's quite a device you've built there, Michael! What a powerful measurement system. It never ceases to amaze me what people can do with our sensors. Keep on pushing the limits!
Steve Colburn
LaserTech

Steve,

I am assuming the TrupulseX uses a different laser module than the S200 ?

Return to “Measurement and Dendromorphometry”