AF-LTI Webinars on tree measuring

General discussions of measurement techniques and the results of testing of techniques and equipment.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

dbhguru

AF-LTI Webinars on tree measuring

Post by dbhguru » Sun Jul 20, 2014 3:07 pm

Hi All,

Here is the URL for the three webinars covering tree measuring that Don Bertolette and I put on.

http://www.americanforests.org/bigtrees ... ar-series/

It is hard to find the webinars going directly to the AF website. But the above URL works. The task now is to get this URL spread to individuals and organizations that might not otherwise know about it.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

tsharp

Re: AF-LTI Webinars on tree measuring

Post by tsharp » Sun Jul 20, 2014 5:50 pm

Thanks Bob:
Just a few hours ago I failed to find it so I could share it with a couple of fledgling tree measurers.

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Sun Jul 20, 2014 11:00 pm

Turner,

You are most welcome. As far as I know, they'll keep these webinars available to the public for a long time to come.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder and President

pattyjenkins1

Post by pattyjenkins1 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:18 am

Yes, the link does work. But Bob and Don--why didn't AF cite you/NTS as the authors? I think it would have given more people reason to watch the webinars.
patty
Patty Jenkins
Executive Director
Tree Climbers International, Inc.
Get High / Climb Trees

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:38 am

Patty,

Good question. As you know, Don Bertolette and I are working as volunteers to American Forests. As a consequence, I think they aren't always sure how to present us in the larger context, given that we are also outsiders. The absence of our being promoting as the presenters of those webinars is a case in point. I could expound on this point, but I think you may see where I'm going.

NTS connections to both AF and LTI are open, and in the case of AF, evolving in a very positive direction, but still slightly awkward. In one sense we can be still seen as a competitor and/or critic, although we've transcended those roles. Sheri Shannon, past big tree program coordinator, recognized the importance of bringing AF into modern world of tree measuring, and she slowly brought her AF colleagues along. She was an avid reader of the NTS BBS. Although the particulars are obscure as to how she made it all happen, I still marvel at how she moved things along.

The current LTI-AF connection exists largely as a result of two events, the NTS event at Cook Forest that included AF and LTI, and last October's event involving TCI, NTS, AF, and LTI. I doubt that very many people understand this original connecting path. But, I'm very pleased that NTS and TCI were truly the facilitators. In terms of personal credit, it doesn't much matter to me so long as the mission is served. This isn't to say that I'd be happy being entirely anonymous. I wouldn't. And, I still get impatient, and am intolerant of the growing mountain of junk data dumped on the public via the Internet that must coexist with useful information, but that is another story.

On a more general theme, a challenge for AF is to maintain connections to a wide variety of professions, professional organizations, and with academia. It is a question of standing. However, I think they are realizing that it is one thing to get highly credentialed professionals to lend their names as members of advisory groups, e.g. the scientific advisory committee, but quite a different thing to get other than token participation. AF needs behind the scenes producers and that is where their connection to us (NTS and TCI) should continue to grow. We may remain largely in the background, which is actually where Will Blozan and I originally saw a role for NTS vis-a-vis the champion tree programs.

I've rambled enough.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder and President

Larry Tucei

Post by Larry Tucei » Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:04 pm

Bob- Enjoyed the link- You Don, Will, Ed and many others do deserve some recognition like Patty has noted. You and others are finally making a difference in accurate tree measurements!!! You guys will be famous for helping correct the errors in the National Listings!! People are taking notice to NTS more and more in the past few years. Like you have said in postings only so many of us measure trees. It's not everybodys passion. What I like best about NTS is we all share a Love of Trees in measurement, photography, climbing, hiking, recording and so on. My point is yes NTS is making a big difference at the way people see trees. Thanks to everybody!!! Larry

Return to “Measurement and Dendromorphometry”