Nice American chestnut in Montreat, NC

Reports and information related to the Chestnut Project. This project was initiated by James Parton to document the remnants of American Chestnut still found in the eastern United States.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

Will Blozan

Nice American chestnut in Montreat, NC

Post by Will Blozan » Sun Aug 05, 2012 3:38 pm

NTS,

One of my clients in Montreat, NC has a magnificent specimen of American chestnut that although infected with blight, has a perfect crown and tons of burs. Last year's burs are littering the ground- likely 200 or more- and some still have nuts. I plan to harvest some nuts this fall. The American Chestnut Foundation came up on Friday to see the tree and they plan to collect pollen from it next spring. I measured the diameter at 9.5" and it stands 47.4' tall.
CADE1.jpg
CADE1.jpg (111.11 KiB) Viewed 3242 times
CADE2.jpg
CADE2.jpg (119.05 KiB) Viewed 3242 times
CADE4.jpg
CADE4.jpg (104.78 KiB) Viewed 3242 times
CADE5.jpg
CADE5.jpg (118.17 KiB) Viewed 3242 times
CADE3.jpg
CADE3.jpg (104.54 KiB) Viewed 3242 times
Will

Rand

Re: Nice American chestnut in Montreat, NC

Post by Rand » Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:25 pm

Oh, nice one.

Looking at the canker, the swelling around the outside should be a sign of healing. Cross your fingers I guess.

Did you find a nearby tree that pollinates this one?

James Parton

Post by James Parton » Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:20 am

Awesome!! I'll have to meet up with you sometime and see this one. One with viable nuts is rare.
James E Parton
Ovate Course Graduate - Druid Student
Bardic Mentor
New Order of Druids

http://www.druidcircle.org/nod/index.ph ... Itemid=145

bbeduhn

Post by bbeduhn » Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:31 pm

Will,
I found a large chestnut in Woodfin, just off the highway. I haven't measured it yet but it appears to be about40' tall with a 15-18" diameter. It was in full bloom when I first noticed it. It's in a fenced yard. I'll see if I can measure it soon.
Brian

Will Blozan

Post by Will Blozan » Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:14 pm

Rand,

American chestnuts are common in the area so pollen would not be a problem.

James,

Just give a call sometime and I'll take you up.

Brian,

Do you think it is an American? That is huge!

Will

jamesrobertsmith

Post by jamesrobertsmith » Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:14 pm

Question: Is the chestnut healing over? If so, does that indicate blight resistance?

I read that the European chestnut recovered when a virus spontaneously appeared that attacks and kills the blight. Is this true?

Rand

Post by Rand » Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:14 am

jamesrobertsmith wrote:Question: Is the chestnut healing over? If so, does that indicate blight resistance?
It could be. From my general reading on the subject (ACF literature), they say that healing cankers are swollen with fewer spore producing bodies. However they also say that there are different strains of blight out there, some more virulent than others.

From my own limited experience I have seen cankers briefly stabilize with swollen calloused boundaries, but then the blight can 'break out' again and still kill the tree. The canker in the picture looks to me like it is starting to heal, but I don't have enough experience to say for sure. I guess time will tell.
I read that the European chestnut recovered when a virus spontaneously appeared that attacks and kills the blight. Is this true?
I've read the same thing. They say it works in europe because hypovirulence arose soon after the blight itself appeared. As a result, the blight had less time to differentiate into different strains (as it has done here) making it easier for the virus to spread through the entire population of the blight. They also speculated that the European chestnut might be less susceptible to the blight than the american.

bbeduhn

Post by bbeduhn » Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:00 pm

Will,
I'm not 100% sure that it is American. It certainly appears so. There isn't a good place to park so I haven't stopped to make sure. It was absolutely covered in catkins about six weeks ago. I'll check it out very soon and try to get a measurement.
Brian

Will Blozan

Post by Will Blozan » Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:21 am

NTS,

I saw this tree this week and it still looks good. I will get updated measurements this fall (and some nuts perhaps).

Will

Return to “American Chestnut Project”