Echo Amphitheater, NM

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

dbhguru

Echo Amphitheater, NM

Post by dbhguru » Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:04 am

NTS,

The stretch of U.S. 84 that goes to Santa Fe from Colorado is a visual feast. One spot is just amazing. It is called Echo Amphitheater. Formed by sandstone, it is just as described, a giant bowl or natural amphitheater. It is a favorite haunt of the late artist Georgia Okeefe who lived a few mils south of the Amphitheater.
US85-EchoAmphitheater.jpg
US84-Amphitheater-2.jpg
There are many ancient junipers in the area. I expect some are well over 500 years of age.

James Robert Smith,

Robert, this region of our country provides visitors with a continuous visual feast.The towns are small and far apart and the land between is oh, so scenic. I think you are going to have an incredible experience out here. BTW, you must continue on the Goulding Creek trail for about 2.5 miles to get to the largest aspens. So far the largest that I've learned about measures 10.7 feet in girth. For an aspen, that is freakin large.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

Larry Tucei

Re: Echo Amphitheater, NM

Post by Larry Tucei » Sat Jul 21, 2012 3:32 pm

Bob, I'm surprised you didn't stop to sing some songs! Hahahah. A really cool looking place! Great photos. I look forward to next years trip. I'm coming over! When you need some potential areas for big and tall trees explored- I'll be your wing man! I love to explore!!!! Especially for you Bob the most popular guy in Durango. Larry

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:25 pm

Larry,

You gotta deal wingman. We'll set all kinds of new records. It is just a case of having the interest and looking. The trees are out here.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

Joe

Post by Joe » Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:53 am

dbhguru wrote:Larry,

You gotta deal wingman. We'll set all kinds of new records. It is just a case of having the interest and looking. The trees are out here.

Bob
and the interest, you surely have, 'cause, as I often say, you are without a doubt, the world's most fanatic tree hugger and measurer!

Return to “New Mexico”