Tallahala Wildlife Mgt Area- Cedar and Quarterliah Creeks

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

Larry Tucei

Tallahala Wildlife Mgt Area- Cedar and Quarterliah Creeks

Post by Larry Tucei » Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:16 pm

I went back to Tallahala Wildlife Management Area located in Bienville National Forest on Friday the 15 Dec. I only spent 5 hours here due to all the hunting going on while I was looking for the Superlative trees from Lidar given to me by our gracious member Michael Taylor. The first area I looked at was Cedar Creek approximately in the center of the Mgt area. I was south of this area earlier in October. I walked east .5 mile through a small Pine Timber and dropped down into the Creek and immediately started seeing tall Loblollies.
Big Loblolly 11' 6"   132'
Big Loblolly 11' 6" 132'
I spied a huge Pine turns out to be the largest CBH Loblolly I’ve measured in all Tallahala. CBH- 11’ 6” and Height- 132’. Wow almost 4’ in Diameter I’ve only seen a few Pines of this size in all of Ms. I continued my search for the elusive 140’ Pine. This area had many Pines in the 120-130’ range so I walked down the Creek and crossed over to the east side.
Loblolly 139.5'
Loblolly 139.5'
Growing right on the edge of the Creek was a 139.5’ Loblolly with a CBH of 9’3”. There it was almost a 140-footer my blood was pumping now this was the tallest Pine to date that I’ve measured here! I continued in and around this area looking at many tall trees as I went east.
Loblolly 141'
Loblolly 141'
Loblolly 141'
Loblolly 141'
The next group of Pines I measured had the one I was after Height 141’ and CBH- 9’ 7” finally I found a Pine at the 140’ threshold! I saw a Hunter to my east so decided to go back west crossing the Creek and heading north. I continued seeing tall Pines and the next one I measured was 138’ and 9’ CBH. It was better for me to come back to this area after Hunting Season for a more detailed study for there a several more 140’ Pines located here. I decided to try another area Quarterliah Creek, about 2 miles south and east from where I was exploring earlier. If no Hunters are there I would go in. Having been here many times, I knew exactly where the tall trees were located. Lucky no Hunters were here so I went south about .75 mile through Oaks in the 120’ ranged. I walked in just on the edge of the Floodplain where the Oaks meet the Pines. There is a slight elevation change enough for Spruce, Loblolly and a few Shortleaf to grow in Groves. I started measuring Spruce Pines in the 120’ class I encountered a Grove of at least 40 Spruce with a few mixed Loblollies. I then went west to a Pond that was an old part of the Creek. Just to the east of this area was the tallest Grove of Spruce Pines that I have ever encountered. Here was where the Lidar had some 130’+ hits! It was so beautiful and surreal I couldn’t believe my eyes. Tall Spruce Pine everywhere with a few mixed Loblolly and Shortleaf.
Shortleaf Pine
Shortleaf Pine
I measured a Shortleaf to 129’ tallest I’ve measured, two Loblollies both 138’ with 9’ and 9’ 3” CBH.
Pond 1.jpg
I then walked over to the Pond to have a look at the Pine Grove from the west.
Spruce Pine 132'
Spruce Pine 132'
Spruce Pine 132'
Spruce Pine 132'
Spruce Pine 132'
Spruce Pine 132'
I came back over and measured two Spruce Pines both to 132’ with a CBH of 7’ 7” and 8’ 2”. These are the tallest two Spruce Pines that I have ever measured anywhere! Time for me to go for now but I will be back there where many more taller trees here that I didn’t measure.
Attachments
Spruce Grove
Spruce Grove

dbhguru

Re: Tallahala Wildlife Mgt Area- Cedar and Quarterliah Creek

Post by dbhguru » Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:44 pm

Larry,

You da man! A very impressive catch! I imagine that the original old growth forests of Mississippi could have rivaled any in the Southeast.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

Larry Tucei

Re: Tallahala Wildlife Mgt Area- Cedar and Quarterliah Creek

Post by Larry Tucei » Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:12 am

Thanks Bob- You are absolutely right. The tallest trees we have are starting to reach the 140-150' range. Most of our Forests were clear cut from what I've been reading, between 1920 and 1930. That's good growth for Trees less than 100 years. It would have been astonishing to see the Virgin Forests of the Southeast. William Bertram described Oaks 10' Dia and Pines 5'. Congaree NP is the best example of how large all the trees were when the Europeans came. Larry

Return to “Mississippi”