LiDAR results for Desoto NF - Black Creek Wilderness

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

M.W.Taylor
Site Admin

LiDAR results for Desoto NF - Black Creek Wilderness

Post by M.W.Taylor » Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:24 pm

I processed the best looking tracts of forest for Black Creek Wilderness in Desoto NF. The LiDAR density was just barely sufficient to isolate the tops. Tallest I found was 141' with a few in the 130' class. See attached. Due to low density of the point cloud, the height estimates are likely conservative.

Michael Taylor
WNTS VP
Attachments
process area for Black Creek Wilderness
process area for Black Creek Wilderness
120ft red - 140 ft white - tallest is 141 ft in this tile
120ft red - 140 ft white - tallest is 141 ft in this tile
120ft red - 140 ft white - tallest is 137 ft in this tile
120ft red - 140 ft white - tallest is 137 ft in this tile
120ft red - 140 ft white - tallest is 136 ft in this tile
120ft red - 140 ft white - tallest is 136 ft in this tile

Larry Tucei

Re: LiDAR results for Desoto NF - Black Creek Wilderness

Post by Larry Tucei » Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:38 pm

Wow- Thanks Michael. I've found some tall trees in this area and I see several areas in your images that I have not been as of yet. Thanks again it will make it so much easier to find the big boys. Larry

AndrewJoslin

Re: LiDAR results for Desoto NF - Black Creek Wilderness

Post by AndrewJoslin » Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:52 pm

This is amazing. I while back I attempted get up and running interpreting LIDAR data in New England, it seemed there wasn't good data coverage or I wasn't looking in the right places. I could be ambitious and revisit the instructions posted somewhere around here. And then there is the easy way out and beg Michael to run some data for eastern Mass. In particular, the Town of Carlisle in Middlesex County, Massachusetts, by an accident of zoning regulations from the 50's that mandated 4 acre house lots to ensure that septic fields and wells could coexist, created a town that now has the highest density of white pine forest of any town inside (east of) RT. 495. If you happen to look at a satellite view of the area, despite ongoing developer tricks to take more land for housing, you can easily see the island of forest bounded by intense tract housing in adjacent towns. The exception is the southern border of Carlisle which abuts the famous Estabrook Woods, mostly in Concord, Massachusetts. Estabrook is also worth a LIDAR peek, Jared Lockwood may have already found the white pine height record for the tract but there are some massive oaks hidden here and there worth picking up on.

The famous but now somewhat derelict stand known as Carlisle Tall Pines, is still there but greatly diminished, Bob would know but I recall someone got a plus 140 footer in the 70's, that height is no longer achieved at the site. I believe tallest is now in the 124' range, need to check Jared Lockwood's more recent numbers. I've got a 125' footer in woods where I live (time for a remeasure), a very exposed massive column of a tree, but I believe there are likely some impressive pines buried somewhere on private land in Carlisle. If you ever get to it Michael I'll forever be in your debt, actually I already am ;-) Thanks for all your efforts past and present.
-AJ

Return to “Mississippi”