Noxubee Nov 2015 Cypress

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

Larry Tucei

Noxubee Nov 2015 Cypress

Post by Larry Tucei » Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:02 pm

NTS- On my final entry from the November tree I wanted to show some of the Bald Cypress that grow throughout the Rivers, Creeks and Sloughs. I have only seen less than 20 or so of this size but I have not been concentrating on Cypress.
Cypress
Cypress
The first image is a stand of Cypress in a dried Slough near Douglas Bluff.
17' 10"
17' 10"
The next Cypress in a water pocket was 17' 10"-- 6' above ground and 108' in Height.
Cypress Duck Blind 20 a.jpg
Cypress Duck Blind 20 b.jpg
Cypress Duck Blind 20.jpg
Some images of Cypress on Oktoc Creek at Duck Blind 20.
Cypress Knees Duck Blind 20.jpg
This is some of the tallest Cypress knees that I have seen anywhere. I wanted to measure a large Bald Cypress across the Levee that I first saw two years ago where I had hunted before but the water came up and I wasn't able to reach it at this time. I will get to it some other time. Larry

John Harvey

Re: Noxubee Nov 2015 Cypress

Post by John Harvey » Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:18 pm

Larry,
Great finds. Its funny the image the gun reminds me of how many would measure the Giant Sequoia long ago. In "To find the biggest tree" by Wendell Flint there are mention of old measurements like "20 rifle butts long" or "10 riles lengths wide". The old explorers would often use their gun as a measuring device.
John D Harvey (JohnnyDJersey)

East Coast and West Coast Big Tree Hunter

"If you look closely at a tree you'll notice it's knots and dead branches, just like our bodies. What we learn is that beauty and imperfection go together wonderfully." - Matt Fox

Larry Tucei

Re: Noxubee Nov 2015 Cypress

Post by Larry Tucei » Fri Dec 04, 2015 9:10 am

John- Thanks. I think I will start reporting more on Bald Cypress. That's interesting about the Gun measurements. Larry

Return to “Mississippi”