Noxubee NWR Nov 15 Part II Pike Road

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

Larry Tucei

Noxubee NWR Nov 15 Part II Pike Road

Post by Larry Tucei » Tue Dec 01, 2015 5:27 pm

NTS- After measuring some big Loblollies at Ennis Road and Douglas Bluff it was off to locate some more tall Oaks in the north Refuge. I had measured there some last year but needed to return to finish my finds. What a fantastic area where the Noxubee River makes a large Horseshoe Bend.
DSCN7739.JPG
This area is loaded with tall trees and the ground is so shaded its wide open. The first tree I measured on the way in after a mile hike was a large Cherry Bark that I did last year. I had to show it again it just stands out and is still the largest I have found in the Refuge.
Cherry Bark Oak 1.jpg
It measured 13' 9"- 7' above ground over the basal flare and 15' 3" CBH with a Height to 135'. I continued on west past the area I reported on last year and located a Sweetgum that had a Height of 136.5' matching my State Height Record with a CBH of 7' 8".
Sweetgum.jpg
Next I measured a nice Willow Oak to CBH-11' 8" Height to 137'.
Willow Oak
Willow Oak
Just west and south of it a tall Cherry Bark Oak to 141' and CBH of 9.8".
Cherry Bark Oak 2.jpg
The next finds were two Tulip Poplars who both broke my State Height Records the first was 139.5', CBH-8' 2" and the second to 138' with a CBH of 8' 5".
Tulip Poplar 1.jpg
Tulip Poplar 2.jpg
Both are State Height Records for me. I then found another tall Cherry Bark Oak at 141.5' with a CBH of 11' 5". I also measured a Mockernut Hickory to 108' with a CBH of 6'.
Mockernut Hickory
Mockernut Hickory
The last tree I did in this area was I believe to be a Bitternut Hickory.
Bittnut Hickory
Bittnut Hickory
It measured Height-118' and CBH-7'. This is one fantastic area of many at Noxubee and has some of the tallest Oaks in the Refuge and I would like to thank Jess Riddle for the Lidar he gave me which made all of these finds possible- Thanks Man!! Larry
Attachments
Pumkin Ash?
Pumkin Ash?
Last edited by Larry Tucei on Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

dbhguru

Re: Noxubee NWR Pike Road

Post by dbhguru » Tue Dec 01, 2015 7:01 pm

Larry,

Holy Smokes! Congratulations. You're smoking us with your super finds. An exciting new picture of Mississippi is emerging. What is the state Rucker Hgt Index now?

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

bbeduhn

Post by bbeduhn » Wed Dec 02, 2015 9:05 am

Nice finds, Larry! That's a nice collection of trees above 135'.

The hickories appear to be transposed. I'm just looking at photos but the moss covered one looks more like bitternut. The tulips are surprising for that far south and on a flat. They seem to top out in the upper 140's in flats, at least outside of the mountains.

Bart Bouricius

Post by Bart Bouricius » Wed Dec 02, 2015 4:53 pm

Thanks for posting these great flood plain finds Larry.

Jess Riddle

Post by Jess Riddle » Wed Dec 02, 2015 7:09 pm

Larry,

It's going to be fun to see what all surprises you come across as you keep exploring the area, and to see the trees grow over time. The oaks you're finding are already impressively large for their age, and it feels like the area has Congaree-like long term potential.

I'll second Brian's note that the mockernut looks more like bitternut--which fits the habitat much better. The other hickory looking tree is green ash.

Jess

Larry Tucei

Post by Larry Tucei » Thu Dec 03, 2015 8:52 am

Jess- Yeah the sky is the limit there. Thanks for the ID at times its tricky. Larry

Return to “Mississippi”