Bay St. Louis Ms. Live Oaks

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

Larry Tucei

Bay St. Louis Ms. Live Oaks

Post by Larry Tucei » Mon May 10, 2010 10:57 am

Ents, I found two more Live Oaks in Bay St. Louis, Ms., that will make the listing. Growing at 128 Keller St., Bay St. Louis Ms. The first is the Anniversary Oak, CBH-20' 7", Spread-133.5' x 108' and Height- 65''. The second tree, The Katrina Oak, CBH- 24', Spread-120' x 60' and Height-25'. Both trees had damage during Hurricane Katrina. Saltwater at 35' put around 10' of water under both trees and wind damage was severe on the Katrina Oak. Severing a 5' dia., limb and dropping it on the home owner’s house. The Oaks grow approx., 300 and 400 yards from the Bay on a ridge that runs the length of the western edge of Bay St Louis. This area suffered the most destruction during Katrina with winds in excess of 130 mph and a 35'-40' storm surge! The Oaks are recovering nicely here and along the whole Ms. Coast. The listing is now at 150 trees and growing. Some photos of the two trees. Larry
Attachments
The Katrina Oak
The Katrina Oak
The Katrina Oak
The Katrina Oak
The Anniverary Oak
The Anniverary Oak
The Anniversary Oak
The Anniversary Oak

dbhguru

Re: Bay St. Louis Ms. Live Oaks

Post by dbhguru » Mon May 10, 2010 2:49 pm

Larry,

Soooper doooper!! I can't believe the number of 20-footers you've logged. I don't think any other species can equal the live oak in this department. At least the burden of proof is on the rest of us to match your count. And the point we all should keep in mind is that the majority of the oaks come from only two states: Mississippi and Louisiana. That is correct isn't it?

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

Larry Tucei

Re: Bay St. Louis Ms. Live Oaks

Post by Larry Tucei » Mon May 10, 2010 3:40 pm

Bob, Correct you are right. The exact count is Ms.-74, La.-46, Ala.-18, Fla.-6, S.C.-6. There are many more in Georgia, Fla, Texas, N.C., S.C., Virginia and more in La. I just have not got to them yet but in time I will! Larry

Return to “Mississippi”