American Chestnut

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

Larry Tucei

American Chestnut

Post by Larry Tucei » Thu Sep 10, 2015 7:16 pm

NTS- A friend of mine, a co-worker brought in some American Chestnuts. I was so excited! He found them on some trees on a road in central Ms in Winston Co. I would guess they were planted in the 1960's by an old farmer that had an old place at this location. It is on a hunting lease. He describes the trees of 10-12 and no taller than 40' but fairly large at the base. He noticed that some of the trees are starting to die back most likely from Blight. The week before another friend Co-worker brought in a limb of a Chinese Chestnut showing leaves with a nut. He also brought a couple of Dunstan Chestnuts from some trees he planted in central Ala 5 years ago. His Dunstan’s are finally producing nuts. The following photo illustrates all three nuts. Note the size difference between the three.
1441910571236.jpg
Chinese is on the left Dunstan in the center and American Chestnut is on the right side of the photo. One more photo of the American Chestnut.
1441885504376.jpg
He gave me 30 of the nuts to grow- Awesome! I'm planting them today in my Tree Box!
American Chestnuts
American Chestnuts
Here is a link to what's going on with the new Chestnut growing program on the Chestnut Foundation. I hope to get my hands on some of the new American Chestnut trees that they have been producing. Larry https://www.forestfoundation.org/woodla ... ndFamilies

jamesrobertsmith

Re: American Chestnut

Post by jamesrobertsmith » Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:16 pm

Excellent! I always love hearing about American chestnut finds.

Joe

Post by Joe » Fri Sep 11, 2015 5:47 am

I planted 3 from the ACF in the spring of 2012. Two died showing damage at the bottom- possibly from rodents. It's 15/16 American and 1/16 Chinese. The surviving specimen is now about 6' tall and looks very healthy. I often imagine what it'll look like 100 years from now as I look down from paradise. (not really of course- I have a rich imagination)
Joe

Larry Tucei

Post by Larry Tucei » Fri Sep 11, 2015 7:52 am

Joe- Awesome! I hope it does well for you. 6' in three years it's moving on good!

Joe

Post by Joe » Fri Sep 11, 2015 2:28 pm

Larry Tucei wrote:Joe- Awesome! I hope it does well for you. 6' in three years it's moving on good!
yuh, and that's from a chestnut, not a seedling- I'll have to take a current photo... I was supposed to notify the ACF- which I may do eventually- because they say they own the rights to any chestnuts it produces- but since I have only one, I'm not sure it'll produce nuts...
Joe

Rand

Post by Rand » Fri Sep 11, 2015 2:34 pm

I second Larry. Sounds like it is over the hump and on its way.

I saw a study where they determined that chestnut benefits more from fertilizer than most other trees. You ought to mulch the sucker with compost or something, and see how fast you can make it go. It's a bummer about the two that didn't make it. Assuming there aren't any wild trees hiding out in the nearby woods for cross pollination, you ought to look into planting another tree so you'll get nuts off of it. From what I've read, under 200' is considered the ideal separation distance for good pollination.

Based on the trees I planted in NW Ohio, and the native sprouts I've observed out in the local state forest, they don't bare nuts until they get 10'-15' tall and 6+ inches diameter at the ground. However, they will bare abundant male catkins for several years before this.

Also, I planted 4 more seedlings in my old field plot in NW Ohio this spring. If you'll recall from my previous posts, the last time I planted 5 and 3 died outright and only one grew properly. This time I dug out a 2' dia x 1' deep hole for each tree and backfilled it with humus from the nearby woods. This seems to work a lot better. I had 1 fail to come out of dormancy (It was the last one planted and I suspect I let too much dirt fall off the rootball), but the other 3 grew okay and had a good green color to the leaves. Hopefully this bunch will grow better.

Return to “Mississippi”