Black Creek Wilderness Trail Part 4

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

Larry Tucei

Black Creek Wilderness Trail Part 4

Post by Larry Tucei » Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:31 pm

Black Cherry
Black Cherry
NTS- I returned to the Black Creek Trail where I park at the bridge on Hwy 29 at Beaver Dam Creek the trail continues on the east side of the Creek for several miles. My goal today is to walk the two miles where Beaver Dam Creek flows into Black Creek. Along the way I measured Long Leaf Pine to 100’, Black Cherry to 63.5, and a Dogwood to 20.5’.
Black Cherry
Black Cherry
Dogwood
Dogwood
The Forest is typical for the area along the Creek containing Holly, Pine, Oak, Sweet Gum, Tupelo, Bay, and Cypress.
East Trail .78 mile
East Trail .78 mile
I dropped off the trail into a dry Branch at .78 mile where I measured several species of trees the first a Water Tupelo to 90’ with a CBH of 6’ 10”.
Branch
Branch
Water Tupelo
Water Tupelo
The Pines here reached heights 120’ and Oaks to 90’ throughout the area. I then measured a couple of Black Tupelo one 93’ and one to 103’ my height record with a CBH of 6’.
Black Tupelo
Black Tupelo
Next I measured a Water Oak to 96.5, Holly to 67’, Sweet Gum to 93’, and a Magnolia to 85’ the tallest that I've seen in the entire region. As I followed the Branch west towards the Creek I came across two larger trees a Sweet Gum and a Black Tupelo.
Sweet Gum and Black Tupelo
Sweet Gum and Black Tupelo
The Tupelo measured 80’ in height with a CBH of 8’3 and is one of the larger that I have seen. I continued west till the branch met the Creek where I measured some really nice Pine one Loblolly to 117’ and a big Slash to 126’ with a CBH of 8’ 5” at the time the largest CBH of any pine yet.
Slash and Loblolly Pine
Slash and Loblolly Pine
I resumed my trail hike enjoying the serenity and finally reached where the trail meets Black Creek.
Beaver Dam Creek and Black Creek
Beaver Dam Creek and Black Creek
Beaver Dam Creek running southwest to northeast dumps into the Black Creek here as does the trail then it follows along Black Creek.
Beaver Dam and Black
Beaver Dam and Black
The forest here was pristine made up of nice Magnolia to 75’, mixed Oak, Holly, and Spruce Pine to 100’.
Magnolia at Black Creek
Magnolia at Black Creek
The Black has a Bluff that runs along the shoreline about 20’ above the water on both sides with sand bars throughout.
Bluff at Black Creek
Bluff at Black Creek
I walked down to the point where the two Creeks met and measured a Red Maple to 46’ with a 4’ 4” CBH.
Red Maple
Red Maple
I also measured a River Birch to 65’ with a 4’ CBH another record for me.
River Birch
River Birch
Black Creek here was close to 50 yards wide with a huge Sandbar splitting the Creek.
Black Creek East
Black Creek East
I noticed some Bobcat tracks on the shoreline from the night before that is getting to be a rare event anymore.
Sand Bar
Sand Bar
I stayed in this area for another 30 minutes enjoying my discoveries then it was time to walk the two miles back out. Black Creek Trail continues in and around the Black for another 6 miles east but that will be another story for a future posting.
Last edited by Larry Tucei on Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jamesrobertsmith

Re: Black Creek Wilderness Trail Part 4

Post by jamesrobertsmith » Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:15 am

Nice photos of the creek! Reminds me of the places where my dad used to take me in south Georgia. Same clear blackwater. We would tromp all over the landscape hunting for Indian relics. Shovels an sifters along for serious digging. We found many thousands of artifacts in those days.

Return to “Mississippi”