Black Creek Wilderness Trail Part 2

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

Larry Tucei

Black Creek Wilderness Trail Part 2

Post by Larry Tucei » Sun Feb 08, 2015 9:06 pm

NTS- I walked back into the Black Creek Wilderness area on Saturday on the same trail that starts at Hwy 29. The trail is roughly 10 miles through the Wilderness area that contains mostly Long Leaf, Loblolly Pine with some Spruce and Pond Pine. The area is Rolling Hills made up of the Pines with some mixed Hardwood. The several small creeks, dry creek beds and Black Creek flowing through are made up of Hardwood with mixed Pine. These are the areas I concentrated on off trail looking for the larger Hardwood trees.
Beaver Dam Creek
Beaver Dam Creek
I walked east and south a total of 1.5 miles along the trail and dropped off into a dry creek bed about a half mile in that runs into Beaver Dam Creek. I noticed a couple of nice Loblolly Bay just off trail where a small branch crossed the trail and measured them to 72’ and 81’.
Long Leaf Pine
Long Leaf Pine
Long Leaf Grass stage
Long Leaf Grass stage
Before I dropped off trail I measured a nice Long Leaf to 105’ a new height record.
Long Leaf Cones
Long Leaf Cones
I measured two more LL one to 99’ and one to 101’. This is I believe close to the maximum height for the species in this region.
Dry Creek Bed
Dry Creek Bed
The dry creek was loaded with nice hardwood made up of Water Oak, Cypress, Swamp Chestnut Oak, Tupelo Gum, Loblolly Bay, Holly, Magnolia and Cypress.
Cypress and Oak
Cypress and Oak
I followed the creek bed only a 200 yards and then climbed up a ridge back up to the trail an elevation change of around 40’.
Cypress
Cypress
Cypress
Cypress
Before I made the climb out I measured several Water Oak, Sweet Gum and Cypress to 90’, and one larger Cypress to 106.5’ with a CBH of 13’. The Sweet Gum was 102’ a coastal record and a tall Holly to 77’ another coastal record. I them came up and got back on trail walking southwest another mile till the trail came back onto Hwy 29. I then walked north on the blacktop a mile to get my truck and come back to this portion of the trail parking by the bridge where Beaver Dam Creek crosses Hwy 29. I had been on the west side of the creek now I would be on the east side. As I began my next leg on the trail I noticed a few nice Pond Pines in the 90’ range. I will measure when I come back. I walked east and north through you guessed it Long Leaf dominated Forest for a half mile till I decided to drop down into another dry creek bed that I been seeing.
Sparkleberry
Sparkleberry
While on the trail growing right in the middle was a huge Sparkle berry, CBH- 1’9 and 19.5’ tall. When I did drop off into the bottom I immediately saw a tall stand of Loblolly and then to the left of those I saw to huge Tulip trees.
Tulips
Tulips
Loblolly Grove
Loblolly Grove
I measured one of the larger Pines to 121.5’ and CBH- 8’. The dozen or so of the Loblollies were all in the 120’ class and the tallest grove I've seen yet, all in the 8’ CBH range.
Green Hawthorn
Green Hawthorn
I also noticed a two small shrubs of trees around 12-15’ tall with a sycamore look to them but with thorns growing out from the trunks, these had diameters of only 3”. Will helped me I'd this species-Green Hawthorn, very rare to me. I then went over to two of the largest Tulip trees that I have seen in the state.
Tulip 1
Tulip 1
They were remnant trees of long ago and looked out of place.
Tulip 1
Tulip 1
Tulip 2
Tulip 2
Tulip 1b
Tulip 1b
The first Tulip measured to a height of 120’ CBH 10’ 10”, the second measured 10’ 4” and to a height of 105.5’. Both trees had tops that where broken off and had re grown, they possibly could have been much taller and one time. I wonder what more surprises Black Creek Wilderness will turn up? I feel like there will be many more large trees. I will return for more documentation and more exploration next Friday. Larry
Last edited by Larry Tucei on Mon Feb 09, 2015 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Will Blozan

Re: Black Creek Wilderness Trail Part 2

Post by Will Blozan » Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:56 am

Very cool Larry!

Green hawthorn?

Loblolly bay heights are impressive as is the holly!

Will

Larry Tucei

Post by Larry Tucei » Mon Feb 09, 2015 8:50 am

Will- Green Hawthorn huh, thanks I'll look that up. Wow your are awesome that's it. http://www.carolinanature.com/trees/crvi.html Larry

bbeduhn

Post by bbeduhn » Wed Feb 11, 2015 3:22 pm

Larry,
Fine work as usual! You mention coastal records. Let's have a little competition between the Gulf Coast and the East Coast. I'll summarize some finds and see how they compare.
Brian

bbeduhn

Post by bbeduhn » Wed Feb 11, 2015 3:50 pm

East Coast personal highs that I've found:

loblolly 120.4'
shortleaf 83.3'
spuce pine 85.5'
pond pine 69.7'
holly 72.6'
baldcyp 113.8'
pondcyp 101.6'
palmetto 50.5'
tulip 115.5'
so. mag 84.7'
sycamore 109.8'
red bay 30'+
live oak 79.5'
white oak 86.5'
shumard oak 114.2'
swmp chest oak 72.9'
pignut 95.6'
so shag hick 84.8'
pecan 88.8'
so redcedar 61.4'
black gum 70.0'
titi ~17'

These are all at plantations or formal gardens.

Larry Tucei

Post by Larry Tucei » Thu Feb 12, 2015 2:00 pm

Brian- Sounds fun! Let's do it!! I get my list together for coastal only. Larry

Return to “Mississippi”