Pike Road Noxubee River NWNR

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

Larry Tucei

Pike Road Noxubee River NWNR

Post by Larry Tucei » Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:15 pm

NTS- Pike road is in the north central portion of the Refuge and if you walk south a half mile you run into the Noxubee River. There is a small Cemetery at the end of the road that is very tranquil.
Cemetery
Cemetery
Lidar showed several 140' hits near the River in a bend just east of where Chinchahoma and Cypress Creek meet the Noxubee.
Slough off Noxubee River
Slough off Noxubee River
The area is rich in typical Bottomland species dominated by Cherry Bark Oak, Willow Oak, Water Oak, etc. Sweet gum, Hickory, Sycamore with a few mixed Pine. The higher ground was dominated by Pine but I passed between the ridges favoring the Hardwood to my destination. Most trees are in the 120-130' class with the exceptional 135'. Lidar indicated 7 hits to 140+ in this particular bend of the River so this is where I headed to. I was certain that these trees would be Oak based on the location and visual with Google Maps. The first tree I measured once I reached the area was a Loblolly to 133.5' it was approx. 400 yards east of the River Bend.
Cherry Bark Oak 1
Cherry Bark Oak 1
I measured several Oaks in a 200 yard area west of the Pine and suddenly I found a Cherry Bark to 144' .Holy Cow a new height record for me!!!!
Cherry Bark Oak 1a
Cherry Bark Oak 1a
Cherry Bark Oak 1b
Cherry Bark Oak 1b
The Oak had a CBH of 9'6" with a Crown spread- 52.5' x 49.5' a skinny but tall Oak. 15 minutes later I found another Cherry Bark less than 100 yards from the first one another record!
Cherry Bark Oak 2
Cherry Bark Oak 2
Cherry Bark Oak 2a
Cherry Bark Oak 2a
Cherry Bark Oak 2b
Cherry Bark Oak 2b
The Oaks Height was 145.5', CBH- 9' 1" and Crown- 57' x 45'. After I had documented both these tall Oaks I resumed my search headed west and then south along the bend and near the River measuring many trees in the upper 125' range.
Water Oak
Water Oak
I came across a Water Oak that measured 132' CBH- 10' 3" and Crown- 78' x 69', another height record for me on this species! I was hot now and trying to locate the other five 140'+ trees. Next I proceeded south and ran across a monster Willow Oak that had a height to 138'. CBH- 11' 5" and would have had a massive Crown Spread but a resent spring storm split off half of its crown, estimated would have been 90' x 100'+!
Willow Oak 1
Willow Oak 1
Willow Oak 2
Willow Oak 2
Willow Oak 3
Willow Oak 3
The Willow ties a height record that I got in Delta NF last year! I then found a huge Cherry Bark to a height of 135' with a whopping CBH of 15' 3" a CBH record and Crown- another record 114' x 115'!!!
Cherry Bark Oak 3
Cherry Bark Oak 3
I measured the Oak over the Basal flare at 7' above ground and still got 13'!
Cherry Bark Oak 3a
Cherry Bark Oak 3a
Cherry Bark Oak 3b
Cherry Bark Oak 3b
A real whopper with a Live Oak size crown spread only matched by Cherry Bark in Congaree NP in fact the tree is like a miniature of the giant we measured back in 09.
Noxubee River
Noxubee River
A photo of the Noxubee River south of the big trees. I need to return and locate the other five 140' trees. One may have been the broken Willow Oak. Cherry Bark rules in Noxubee by sheer mass and height with Willow second, next in height is Loblolly. Larry

bbeduhn

Re: Pike Road Noxubee River NWNR

Post by bbeduhn » Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:00 pm

Larry,
Keep up the outstanding work! You're not only getting out but finding tremendous forest. That water oak is a near record.
Brian

Larry Tucei

Re: Pike Road Noxubee River NWNR

Post by Larry Tucei » Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:42 pm

Brian- Thanks. I really enjoyed Noxubee this season and hope to get up there one more time before spring. Jess Riddle provided me with Lidar which has helped quite a bit in locating the 140'+ trees. I need to learn how to find and use Lidar. Perhaps we could have a class on Lidar. Larry

Return to “Mississippi”