New diameter record water locust, MS

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

Jess Riddle

New diameter record water locust, MS

Post by Jess Riddle » Mon Dec 29, 2014 3:09 pm

Nts,

12/13/14
I spent an afternoon hiking around Delta National Forest trying to reach the Cypress Bayou Special Botanical Area. I never quite made it to the area, but I did see a couple of noteworthy trees along the way. The most significant is a new forest grown diameter record water locust growing along the Little Sunflower River. The tree grows on a little shelf of newly deposited land between the slow moving river’s banks. Typical of water locust habitat, the area likely floods several feet deep each winter. This tree may not see many more floods as it is hollow as a drum and has cracks running up opposite sides of the trunk. The crown is still full and healthy, and quite tall for the species.
New diameter record for forest grown water locust, 8’9” cbh x 86.7’ tall
New diameter record for forest grown water locust, 8’9” cbh x 86.7’ tall
The Forest Service has done little cutting along this section of the Little Sunflower, so the area has extensive mature forest. Extended flooding and associated low productivity may explain that lack of institutional interest. Overcup oak strongly dominates the forest, but the only other tree of notable size was a 1’7” x 50.1’ swamp-privet, a new record height for Mississippi.

Jess Riddle

ElijahW

Re: New diameter record water locust, MS

Post by ElijahW » Tue Dec 30, 2014 7:11 pm

Jess,

Cool water locust. I've never seen one grown in the woods, and it kind of resembles a young honey locust, at least to my eye.

What are the trees with the white blotches on the trunks in the background? The bark on the one just left of center looks like a hackberry, but that's just a guess. Nice work, and thanks for sharing,

Elijah
"There is nothing in the world to equal the forest as nature made it. The finest formal forest, the most magnificent artificially grown woods, cannot compare with the grandeur of primeval woodland." Bob Marshall, Recreational Limitations to Silviculture in the Adirondacks

Jess Riddle

Post by Jess Riddle » Wed Dec 31, 2014 8:53 pm

Elijah,

You're on the right track on both counts. Water locust is in the same genus as honeylocust, the only other one in the eastern US. Water locust generally resembles honeylocust, but the bark is generally smoother and the pods are only a couple of inches long. The tree in the background are sugarberry (except the one with the big hole in it, which is persimmon), same genus as hackberry.

Jess

Larry Tucei

Post by Larry Tucei » Sat Jan 03, 2015 12:12 pm

Jess- Congrats on the record Water Locust!!!! We have to get back to the CBBA the trees should be huge there!!!! I read where the area has not been cut since 1874 and the Forest Service acquired it in 1941- 320 acres of monster trees!!!! Delta National is a really special place loaded with potential record breaking trees throughout. I can't wait to return there perhaps late in Jan, of early Feb. Larry

Return to “Mississippi”