Delta National Forest McCain Bayou Cypress Part II

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

Larry Tucei

Delta National Forest McCain Bayou Cypress Part II

Post by Larry Tucei » Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:38 am

NTS- I went back up to the Delta NF this past Saturday but only could stay for the day. Since my time was short I decided to go back to the McCain Bayou area where I had previously reported on a couple of large Cypress. I brought a 4 wheeler after obtaining a permit and rode in on the McCain Bayou Trail to about 1/2 mile. The trail comes in from the north and then runs southeast towards the Bayou then along it. I stopped and walked westward a few hundred yards where a small Lake had formed looking for large Cypress.
McCain Bayou Lake
McCain Bayou Lake
As I came closer to the Lake I started seeing some large Cypress in along the Lake. There must be a dozen or so of large Cypress in this area and I only measured two that were on the edge. The first I'll call Cypress IV had a height of 95' and an estimated CBH of 24-26'.
Cypress IV
Cypress IV
I was able to get in the water around the tree to 12" deep so my estimation is close. Thirteen feet above the Basal Flare the tree was still 14' in Circumference. Cypress V had an estimated CBH of 22-24' and was a little taller to 105.5'.
Cypress V
Cypress V
This was such a beautiful little Lake area loaded with large Cypress and lots of Ducks. I have to come back with a raft or small skiff for more documentation of these great trees. I hope to get back up with my Boat for a trip to the Cypress Botanical Research Area in the southeastern area of the Forest with Jess Riddle before spring gets here. Larry
Attachments
Cypress Grove
Cypress Grove

Rand

Re: Delta National Forest McCain Bayou Cypress Part II

Post by Rand » Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:54 am

Nice cypresses. Looks like the big old wolf trees you see left in Ohio woodlots. Some of them are crutchy looking but others still develop pretty nicely. I wonder how old those would be. Any ideas?
Last edited by Rand on Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Larry Tucei

Post by Larry Tucei » Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:52 pm

Randy- Maybe 300+ ? If I ever got a boring tool I would be able to better estimate them. I know some Cypress were aged in the Pascagoula River basin by a team with David Stahle to 1009 years. I would love to check on that specific tree to get a idea of a size range for that period of growth. Larry

ElijahW

Post by ElijahW » Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:59 pm

Larry,

Nice pictures. I think those cypresses are trying to compete with Bart's Central American buttresses. I always love seeing cypress trees; I have one about 6' tall up here in NY, but it's been just barely hanging on the last couple of years after being rubbed on by deer. Thanks for sharing.

Elijah
"There is nothing in the world to equal the forest as nature made it. The finest formal forest, the most magnificent artificially grown woods, cannot compare with the grandeur of primeval woodland." Bob Marshall, Recreational Limitations to Silviculture in the Adirondacks

Return to “Mississippi”