Noxubee National Wildlife Refuge Part lll

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

Larry Tucei

Noxubee National Wildlife Refuge Part lll

Post by Larry Tucei » Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:27 pm

NTS- I made a return trip to Noxubee National Wildlife Refuge on Sunday Jan. 19 for my continuing search of big trees. I went to four different locations on the Noxubee River. The first was in the north central area of the Refuge, on the north side of the River. The second was an area west and north of Trail of Big Trees on the south side of the River. The third was west and south of the road to Trail of Big Trees and the fourth area was south of Trail of Big Trees on the south side of the River through a large Tornado Blow down resulting from a F3 back in the early 2000’s. The first area on the north side of the River was ½ mile walk to an area with a small Bluff 15’ overlooking the River. It made for a really picturesque view of the Hardwoods meeting the Piney woods.
Noxubee River North Central
Noxubee River North Central
Most of the trees in this area Sweetgum, Hickory, Oak, Sycamore, etc. were in the 100-110’ range with the Pines in the mid 120’s. I measured a nice Tulip right on the River to 106.5’ and CBH-8’.
Tulip 1
Tulip 1
The largest tree I measured on that morning was a Willow Oak to 105.5’ with a CBH of 13’11”.
Willow Oak
Willow Oak
This area needs a more detailed search along both sides of the River and I plan on returning in the future. That evening I went to an area just west of the Trail of Big Trees and on the south side of the River. I had been in that region before and noticed some really tall trees that needing measuring. I measured a large Cherrybark Oak to 136.5’ with a CBH of 12’2”.
Cherrybark Oak 1
Cherrybark Oak 1
It would be the tallest of its species I’ve measured in Ms to date. I then measured a tall Nutall to 136’ with a CBH of 8’7”, one of the tallest I’ve ever measured.
Nutall Oak
Nutall Oak
I found a really nice Tulip that had the top blown out to 112.5’ with a CBH of 9’10”.
Tulip 2
Tulip 2
This is one of the largest CBH on them that I have done in the Refuge and they don’t seem to get much bigger in this environment, I also found and measured a Green Ash to 100’.
Green Ash
Green Ash
I then went back to an area a mile west on the southern side of the road that contained large areas of Loblolly Pine looking for that elusive 140’ tree. I measured many trees to in the 120-130’ class and after a few hours of searching found 3 Pines that were over 135’! The first one I documented was really tall and I spent 20-30 minutes at it and settled for 139’ and CBH of 9’6” making this Loblolly the tallest tree I have measured in Ms to date!
Loblolly Pine 1
Loblolly Pine 1
Next I found two more to 138’ CBH-9’9 and 136.5’ CBH-8’8”!
Loblolly 1a
Loblolly 1a
Next I went back east on the roadway about a ½ mile and walked north to the south side of the River where it makes a large loop. The trees here were also in the mid 120’ range with some Red Oak to 130. I found a really nice Persimmon that was 105’ tall with a CBH of 6’5”. On my final morning at the Refuge I walked a ½ mile on a trail that goes through the Tornado blow down south of Trail of Big Trees. I had never been in this exact area and knew I would find some more large trees. I walked through the area and went north to the south side of the River where the largest trees were.
Noxubee River 2
Noxubee River 2
This area had Oaks to the upper 120’s and Cane everywhere.
Cane
Cane
I measured a really nice Swamp Chestnut Oak to 127.5’ with a CBH of 9’7”.
Swamp Chestnut Oak
Swamp Chestnut Oak
I also measured a large Cherrybark Oak to 127’ CBH- 11’7”,
Cherrybark Oak 2
Cherrybark Oak 2
a White Oak to 111.5’ CBH-10’2”
White Oak
White Oak
and a Shagbark Hickory to 112.5’ with a CBH of 6’3”.
Shagbark Hickory
Shagbark Hickory

Return to “Mississippi”