Atlantic White Cedar

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

Larry Tucei

Atlantic White Cedar

Post by Larry Tucei » Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:14 pm

NTS- This is some of the largest Atlantic White Cedar that I've seen in north central Ms. The heights were in the 70-80' range with CBH of 9-11'. Johnny's posting on Bear Swamp the other day reminded me of some Cedar I took photos earlier this month on private property in Noxubee Co. Ms. Larry
Atlantic White Cedar.jpg
Atlantic White Cedar 2.jpg
Atlantic White Cedar 3.jpg
Atlantic White Cedar 1.jpg

Will Blozan

Re: Atlantic White Cedar

Post by Will Blozan » Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:17 pm

Larry,

Were these planted or something? Seem a bit out of range and habitat. Cool forms! And dog-gone big!

Will

edfrank

Post by edfrank » Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:45 pm

There is an interesting distribution map on the gymnosperm database:
http://www.conifers.org/cu/Chamaecyparis_thyoides.php

The site talks about a distinctove sub-species found along the coast: "One subspecies, Chamaecyparis thyoides subsp. henryae (Li H.L.) E. Murray, sometimes treated as a separate species Ch. henryae Li H.L.; syn. Ch. thyoides var. henryae (Li H.L.) Little. Li (1962) segregated the disjunct Gulf Coast populations in Alabama, Florida, and Mississippi as Ch. henryae based on smoother bark, less flattened branchlets, lighter yellowish green foliage, steeper angle of leaf appression to the stem, more prominently keeled but less glandular leaves, and slightly larger cones, seeds, and seed wings. These features contrasted with phenotypes found in the 'northern and mid-Atlantic' populations,.."

Ed frank
"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky

Larry Tucei

Post by Larry Tucei » Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:16 am

Will- They are native and all over the Central state of Ms. I've seen much in Northwest Florida to. Ed- Thanks, I read that same link about the sub species, this must be what I'm finding. Larry

Will Blozan

Post by Will Blozan » Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:45 pm

Larry/Ed,

Very cool! Looking at the numbers for the National Champion in NJ it has got to be a clump (no photo) so I wonder if one of these beasts might be a legit champ? I have yet to have seen this species in the wild...

Will

Return to “Mississippi”