Delta National Forest Sweetgum Natural Research Area Part II

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

Larry Tucei

Delta National Forest Sweetgum Natural Research Area Part II

Post by Larry Tucei » Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:18 am

NTS-I went back to the Sweetgum Natural Research Area searching for tall trees on the 17th January. I had covered the northern side of the 40 acre tract so this time I went to the southern side. This area is loaded with trees in the 125-130’ class with the Sweetgum dominating. I measured several trees starting with a Cypress. I then measured an Overcup Oak, a single Sweetgum, a twin set of Sweetgums, a nice Red Maple, a single Sweetgum, a Pin Oak or Scarlet Oak, and a big Willow Oak that was growing right near the roadway.

Cypress 120.5’ 13’5”
Overcup Oak 122.5’ 10’8”
Sweetgum 133.5’ 13’8”, 128.5’ 13’8”, 123.5’ 10’10”, 133.5’ 13’4”,
Red Maple 123.5’ 12’11”
Pin or Scarlet Oak 121.5’ 10’6”
Willow Oak 129.5’ 16’2” Crown Spread- 84’ x 96’

The Red Maple is the tallest I’ve ever measured and the Willow Oak the largest. The Research Area has remnant Virgin Sweetgum 200-250 years, and some Oak to 100 years. The Forest south of the Research Area where I measured most of the trees was in the 120’ class and would be around 75-100 years. All of the trees I measured on this day are just south of the Research Area except the Sweetgum. Photos of the species I measured on this afternoon in 3 hours. Larry
Willow Oak
Willow Oak
Pin Oak or Scarlet Oak leaves
Pin Oak or Scarlet Oak leaves
Pin or Scarlet Oak
Pin or Scarlet Oak
Red Maple
Red Maple
Sweetgum Twins
Sweetgum Twins
Sweetgum
Sweetgum
My little buddy
My little buddy
Overcup Oak
Overcup Oak
Blow Down
Blow Down
Cypress
Cypress

Will Blozan

Re: Delta National Forest Sweetgum Natural Research Area Par

Post by Will Blozan » Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:28 am

Larry,

Sweet spot! Could the red maple be an elm and the pin oak a Nuttall? Weird bark on the maple and scarlet shouldn't be anywhere near that site... Not sure pin makes it down there???

Keep it coming!

Will

Larry Tucei

Post by Larry Tucei » Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:31 am

Will- I found alot of Maple leaves around that tree. It could be an Elm, not to familar with them. The Oak is not a Nutall it must be Pin Oak. Thanks, Larry

Joe

Post by Joe » Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:17 pm

Larry, what's that palm like plant in the first photo? I vaugely recall seeing plants like that in my only trip to the southeast coastal plain in the early '70s. It was everywhere.
Joe

Larry Tucei

Post by Larry Tucei » Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:31 pm

Joe- Saw Palmetto,which was very common on the Forest floor in the original Forests in the south. We still have areas that are loaded with it.

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:26 pm

Larry,

Dang, you are kicking some serious butt. Great reports! We're finally learning what Mississippi has to offer.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

Jess Riddle

Post by Jess Riddle » Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:03 pm

Larry,

I love all the photos with you're posts. I'm really hoping to get down to that site within the next couple of weeks.

I had the same thoughts as Will about species. He's right, pin oak doesn't make it that far south. How did you rule out Nuttall oak?

Jess

Larry Tucei

Post by Larry Tucei » Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:27 am

Jess- Now that I look at the leaf photo I do see Nutall leaves. I may be wrong the next time I go back I will really check the ground. The Nutall I see in Noxubee usually has a remaining leaf or two. I need to get up in these area's in the Fall for some acorn's and leaves. I'm getting a 4 wheeler for my next journey up there we will have to get together. Larry

Joe

Post by Joe » Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:58 am

Larry, off subject... but, are there any really cool old growth forests on the Mississippi River? I'm just thinking it would be interesting to look at the river from within an old forest- to get a sense of history- of what the area might have been like before the pale faces showed up.
Joe

Larry Tucei

Post by Larry Tucei » Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:36 pm

Bob, Thanks and I will have more to come! Joe, St. Catherine National Wildlife Refuge is the only area I know of in my State. Larry

Return to “Mississippi”