Noxubee Wildlife National Refuge Part II Beaver Dam Trail

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

Larry Tucei

Noxubee Wildlife National Refuge Part II Beaver Dam Trail

Post by Larry Tucei » Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:45 pm

NTS- One of the several trails in the Refuge is named Beaver Dam Trail when years ago a Beaver had made a Dam at Oktoc Creek. The trail begins at the Bluff Lake Levee north of the spillway from Bluff Lake into Oktoc Creek. It is a one mile trail that offers the hiker a pleasant walk along Oktoc Creek in Bottomland Forest. The trail ends at another levee Green Tree #2 which is a flooded timber area created for Ducks. The Forest here is similar to the rest of the Refuge consisting of many species of Oaks, Loblolly Pine and Cypress. Most of the Oaks are in the 120’ range with the Pines in the 120’-130’, some of the Pines are approaching 140’. I spent 4-5 hours on and around the Trail measuring mostly Loblolly Pines looking for that elusive 140 footer. The trail is fairly flat with a few slightly higher 2-3’ elevation changes that form small ridges where some stands of Loblolly grow. Mature Loblolly also grows all along the trail and I measured some in here a few years ago in the high 130’s. I measured several Pines in this region the tallest three were 138’, 133.5’ and 132.5’. The 3 Pines had CBH’s of 9’4”, 9’3” and the whopper 11’ 7” which grew right on the trail at a place overlooking Oktoc Creek, a real beauty! The 138 footer ties my Pine height record for the State of Ms. I measured what I think is a Hybrid White Oak at 120’ with a CBH of 8’2”, a White Oak to 121.5’ with a CBH of 6’ 9”, and a Nutall Oak to 123.5’ with a CBH of 7’ 2”. These were the typical heights of the Oaks so I only measured a few just to get a reference of their sizes in this area. One Cypress growing in the middle of Oktoc Creek at the end of the trail had a CBH of near 24’ at the waterline but had the top blown out some years back. It is one of the largest Cypress trees that I have ever seen in Noxubee Refuge. Another Cypress that caught my eye was growing in a small pond on the north side of the trail at a CBH of about 18’. On the other side of Oktoc Creek a ridge of 10-12’ high called Douglas Bluff and it runs along the length of the creek for around ½ mile or so. It is the highest elevation in eastern region of the refuge and also has some limestone visible in a few locations. Some photos of the Loblolly Pines, one big Cypress, a small Slough, Oktoc Creek, Douglas Bluff, a Hybrid White Oak, a White Oak, a Nutall Oak and a Red Oak Stump. Larry
Red Oak Stump 8 rings per inch
Red Oak Stump 8 rings per inch
Growth Rates
Growth Rates
Nutall Oak
Nutall Oak
White Oak
White Oak
White Oak Hybrid
White Oak Hybrid
Douglas Bluff
Douglas Bluff
Oktoc Creek and Douglas Bluff
Cypress Slough
Cypress Slough
Large Cypress
Large Cypress
Loblolly 3b
Loblolly 3b
Loblolly 3a
Loblolly 3a
Loblolly 3
Loblolly 3
Loblolly 2a
Loblolly 2a
Loblolly 2 Right side of Photo
Loblolly 2 Right side of Photo
Loblolly 1
Loblolly 1

bbeduhn

Re: Noxubee Wildlife National Refuge Part II Beaver Dam Trai

Post by bbeduhn » Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:46 am

Larry,
Those are some serious lobs! Do any other pines grow there or is it just too wet for other pines? Are there any pond cypresses?
Brian

Rand

Post by Rand » Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:34 am

I especially like the picture of Douglas bluff, immediately juxtaposing a swamp forest with pine a forest.

Larry Tucei

Post by Larry Tucei » Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:42 pm

Brian- The only other Pine growing in the Refuge is Shortleaf. I didn't really concentrate on the Cypress but there may be Pond mixed in with the Bald. I'm going back up this weekend to search an area of large trees on the Noxubee River in the north central part of the refuge where I have never been. I look for some Ponds near the River. I also plan on another visit to the Delta National Forest tomorrow, should have some good stuff to post on next week. Randy- I thought it made for a sharp contrast. Larry

Return to “Mississippi”